•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gate opener for ROR - inside or out?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Astrola72

Astrola72

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:40 PM

I've been thinking about building a small ROR to replace my rollaway shed, and I would like to include an automated roof. I'm curious why people who use gate openers to do this, always seem to install the motor inside the obsy. These things are made to live outside. Because I want to make this as small as possible, I don't want to have to get in the obsy with the roof closed. Fine, unless the motor isn't working for some reason. If I mount the motor on the outside I can get to it much more easily, to use the manual override. Is there really any good reason not to?

Thanks much
Joe

PS - I have a warm room in a large shed nearby, with power and data lines buried to the pier.

Edited by Astrola72, 19 September 2021 - 08:41 PM.

#2 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

• Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:05 PM

I mounted it outside on my observatory. It has the benefits of opening the roof all the way and takes no space from the inside. As you stated, it’s built for outside. In my case the key fob works and the antenna being attached to the Aleko is outside so I can use the key fob from 250 feet away (the house). I don’t believe I could use the key fob if mounted inside as I can now.

Jess

#3 Astrola72

Astrola72

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Jess. I remember your build now, and your Aleko mounted outside. Your build is amazing, BTW! waytogo.gif

• GrandadCast likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics