•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGE Pro tracking and skipping/jumping

Celestron Mount
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tyro

Tyro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:23 AM

Hi everyone. I'm having some problems with my CGE Pro and how smoothly it seems to be tracking.  The video below shows what I mean.

I have a C14Edge+Hyperstar setup.

https://youtu.be/SkcwnbRi0L8

I had this issue a while back and sort of fixed it by adjusting the worm. I then had a ton of backlash in the RA and had to add a shim to the worm block and adjust the tension screw.  I have also tried to run a few iterations of PEC (which this doesn't look like PEC anyway).

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Seiten

Seiten

Ranger 4

• Loc: Huntsville, AL 35763

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:51 PM

Ok, just a thought....

I have the C9.25Edge and was getting streaks in one direction on longer exposures (>4 min).  If I blinked images like that the star field was slowly shifting.  However, I noticed the pictures from my top-mounted 280mm FL guide camera were stable.  I finally discovered what they call differential flexure.  And I attributed it to mirror flop in my C9.25.  I thought I was being smart by tightening the focus lock knobs, but come to find out it was actually worsening my mirror flop as well as my focus backlash/shift.

Have since moved to OAG and loosened those focus locks and forgotten they exist.  Am able to get rock solid images for 9 minutes and APT and NINA autofocus routines nail it almost every time.

I doubt this is your problem if you're running hyperstar .... but just a thought.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics