•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Equipment Trailer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:26 AM

Hey guys,

It's been a year or two since we had one of these.  I'm looking to get a enclosed trailer for my gear; standard reasons apply (tired of setting up, my backyard isn't conducive to astronomy).  I purchased a wheeley bar and now I'm trying to figure out the transportation piece.  It seems like some people are willing to use a trailer and some people aren't.  I'd like to keep at least my mount (10u) on a pier on the wheeley bar.  Primarily I images so equatorial mounts in a trailer would be nice.  

Thanks for your time and inputs.  Pictures of any setups would be really nice.

Chris

#2 Couder

Couder

Apollo

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:00 AM

Having had two, and a buddy with one, the best advice I can give is to get one with a front side door. It is unbelievable how many times you need to get to something in the front, after you think you're already packed. Think of not having to walk over/around everything. It comes in especially handy for us, hauling long refractors, but I'm sure it will be handy for short things, too. Sorry, the picture I have is of the side of the trailer opposite the side with the door.

• CCD-Freak and Raginar like this

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:34 PM

Hey Couder,

Do you keep everything packed in cases while you're transiting?  Besides the obvious ratchet straps, do you do anything on the floor or other mitigation for the roughness?  I use a 152mm refractor on a 10u mount.

#4 Couder

Couder

Apollo

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:09 PM

Most things are in cases or boxes. A few things, such as the Astro-Physics 1200 mount, are wrapped in 2" foam. We use straps both across and front to back to keep things from moving around. Occasionally, if we take a lot of stuff, there isn't room for the large wood crates for the Clark refractors, so I wrap them in 2" foam. We've never had a problem in all these years - since the 90's.

• Raginar likes this

#5 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:05 PM

Moving to Equipment for a better fit.

#6 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:14 AM

Most things are in cases or boxes. A few things, such as the Astro-Physics 1200 mount, are wrapped in 2" foam. We use straps both across and front to back to keep things from moving around. Occasionally, if we take a lot of stuff, there isn't room for the large wood crates for the Clark refractors, so I wrap them in 2" foam. We've never had a problem in all these years - since the 90's.

That's good to know.  Do you use a torsion spring trailer?  

#7 Couder

Couder

Apollo

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:45 AM

Just a trailer we bought at a trailer place. We also have registered therapy dogs we take to nursing homes. We trained them to do many tricks, so we take them to schools, churches, scout groups, senior centers, many public events, etc. So the trailer is dual use. I make sure I have plenty foam around scopes, and plenty straps. Just in case you're interested, http://www.justfurfu...and Sparkle.htm

I looked on my computer and unfortunately I do not have a picture of everything packed in the trailer.

Attached Thumbnails

• trailer.jpg

• Raginar likes this

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:01 AM

Couder, that's awesome.  I think I'm gonna do it.  Now I just have to find a trailer.

Cool dog setup :)

#9 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:05 AM

Here are some photos of the astro trailer I put together ten years ago.  I had a hour drive to my dark site and would forget the one thing I needed so I made this trailer to hold all of my scopes and equipment.  Also it had 4 200amp/hour batteries to keep things running for a long time. I built a desk at the front and had three laptops running there.  Red leds were used to keep my night vision intact.  I use a double axle trailer to smooth out the ride for my scopes. Setup and tear down is very easy. Saved a lot of time with this setup.  Alas, I sold the trailer prior to moving out west.  The trailer is now hauling sheet rock and building supplies but it still has the "got stars" graphic on the back.

Attached Thumbnails

• astrotrailer1.jpg
  • astrotrailer_rear.jpg
  • astrotrailer_shelves.jpg
  • astrotrailer_red_rear.jpg
  • astrotrailer_desk.jpg

• dmorrow and yeldahtron like this

#10 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:37 AM

Hate think what happens in there if you hit the brakes, or worse, go over a big speedbump or potholeā€¦

Edited by luxo II, 14 October 2021 - 03:37 AM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#11 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:02 AM

Nothing happens. Everything on the shelves are tied down to the wall rings. I have baskets holding loose items and the laptops have a travel box they go in. It worked very well.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics