•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are long OTAs more sensitive to vibration?

Equipment Mount Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 September 2021 - 03:51 AM

I don't mind long OTAs, but I try to space my rings to "cut" the OTA into thirds (ignore the dew shield).  Then I place this on a mount (and tripod) that can carry more than three times (3x) the weight of my OTA and enjoy a stress-free, vibration-free night.  The picture below is a sub-20 pound f/8  FS-128 on a 65-pound capacity Mach1. This all sits on a 250+-pound capacity Eagle Pier.

My Dad taught me the value of a good mount when I was in high school.  A good mount makes everything you do in astronomy - visual or photographic - more fun and more productive.  The most expensive (and Best) investment I ever made in astronomy was this mount more than 12 years ago.  It has never been stressed and has performed flawlessly for me over the years.  It can safely carry anything I can lift. cool.gif  

Cheers,

Ron

attachicon.gifFS-128 091519.JPG

That is certainly a nice looking rig.

In my mind, there is always a balance between the capacity of the mount and the hassle/difficulty involved in setting it up.  For me, I would probably never use an 5 inch refractor on a Mach 1 because it would be more hassle to setup than something larger that is more capable.  Even with the 120mm Eon that I got from you mounted on a sturdy ALT-AZ mount, that's a major issue. 

The rig weighs 34-35 lbs complete and ready and I can carry it out the door assembled and ready, even loaded with eyepieces.  But I enjoy splitting close doubles, a 120mm is better than a 4 inch but not by a lot.  A 10 inch, which is not much more effort to setup, is better than the 120mm and by quite a large margin.

Jon 

• Sarkikos likes this

#52 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:28 PM

That is certainly a nice looking rig.

In my mind, there is always a balance between the capacity of the mount and the hassle/difficulty involved in setting it up.  For me, I would probably never use an 5 inch refractor on a Mach 1 because it would be more hassle to setup than something larger that is more capable.  Even with the 120mm Eon that I got from you mounted on a sturdy ALT-AZ mount, that's a major issue. 

The rig weighs 34-35 lbs complete and ready and I can carry it out the door assembled and ready, even loaded with eyepieces.  But I enjoy splitting close doubles, a 120mm is better than a 4 inch but not by a lot.  A 10 inch, which is not much more effort to setup, is better than the 120mm and by quite a large margin.

Jon 

One of the major selling points for the Mach1 mount was how easy it is to split into two pieces.  This makes it very easy for me to carry outside, admittedly with one extra trip.  The tripod is already out there.

I have been dealing with "lifting restrictions" the past decade, usually around 15-17 pounds.  The 120 EON (I found another one!) fits within my weight limits, as does a C8 SCT.  But a 10-inch whatever (SCT, Newt, R-C, or CDK) does not - neither do most 5-inch apos.  Enjoy your big scopes while you can... I did! 

Now at 74, I am happy to get outside with my smaller scopes. smile.gif

Cheers,

Ron

• Sarkikos likes this

#53 fedele

fedele

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:25 PM

Yes

#54 jena100

jena100

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

A number of years ago Sky and Telescope had information on how to construct a Hargreaves strut. They work well. You can fill piers with Great Stuff in place of sand. That will also work in tripods that have metal tube legs.

• markb and Bomber Bob like this

#55 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 08 October 2021 - 04:31 PM

I stuff pedestals with alternating 1" to 2" thick Styrofoam disks and FibreFill (packed tight enough to almost fuse) -- clinks & tinks become Clunks! & Thunks! and damping time drops to near zero seconds...

• markb and jena100 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Mount, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics