•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alternate cameras to the ZWO ASI2600

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pictor

Pictor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:28 AM

Given the response from ZWO on the problem with the ASI2600 (noted here - https://www.cloudyni...ues/?p=11372413) I'm interested in alternative options for this camera.  Is the QHY 268 Pro a good alternative? What other cameras should I consider? 

I almost pulled the trigger on the ASI2600mm recently but was dealing with several problems with my ASIAir Pro which put the purchase on the back burner.  I'm glad I waited. 

FWIW - I have generally been happy with my ZWO gear but it's clear that their customer service ends when you take possession of a device.  Unless they publicly declare that they've addressed the complaints, I'm reluctant to gamble on a purchase that clearly has a known problem. 

Edited by Pictor, 20 September 2021 - 10:29 AM.

• TheSheriff and doole like this

#2 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:38 AM

The QHY268M is the other option for that particular sensor. 

• Pictor likes this

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:58 AM

FWIW - I have generally been happy with my ZWO gear but it's clear that their customer service ends when you take possession of a device.  Unless they publicly declare that they've addressed the complaints, I'm reluctant to gamble on a purchase that clearly has a known problem. 

Actually that isn't "clear" at all.  These forums abound with people who have had excellent after-sales service -- even after warranty expiration -- from ZWO.

Given that history, and my own with ZWO, I had no hesitation purchasing an ASI2600.  It has not exhibited the issue mentioned.  I am also a bit disappointed in their response to this issue, but not to the point where I wouldn't buy anything from them, and the reality of this particular issue is that if it occurs, it's a 10-minute clean-up to "fix" it.  

Your personal reaction is, of course, up to you.  And fully valid, no matter what it is.  But what's not valid is making a blanket statement like above.  Since there's more than ample evidence to show that's not correct.

Good luck with your choices.

#4 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:25 AM

Personally, I am a QHY user/customer but not for any significant reason.  Maybe it's as simple as I don't particularly care for ZWO's red cameras, I don't know.  Maybe company names that start with a Z rub me the wrong way, I don't know.  I just prefer QHY.  I'm happy with my experiences with QHY cameras but I highly doubt customer service will be noticeably different between ZWO and QHY.  Both will likely send replies which may seem a bit blunt or even curt but that is most likely due to poor translation.  And, I have seen far more examples online of people being happy with the customer service of each than people being unhappy.  

That being said, if any company annoys me and makes me feel like I wasted my money, I would never purchase another item from them so I can understand your point of view.

Patrick

Edited by PatrickVt, 20 September 2021 - 11:26 AM.

#5 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Mariner 2

• Loc: Naples, Florida

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:36 AM

The Orion G26 uses the same sensor.

• Pictor likes this

#6 Pictor

Pictor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:22 PM

Actually that isn't "clear" at all.  These forums abound with people who have had excellent after-sales service -- even after warranty expiration -- from ZWO.

Given that history, and my own with ZWO, I had no hesitation purchasing an ASI2600.  It has not exhibited the issue mentioned.  I am also a bit disappointed in their response to this issue, but not to the point where I wouldn't buy anything from them, and the reality of this particular issue is that if it occurs, it's a 10-minute clean-up to "fix" it.  

Your personal reaction is, of course, up to you.  And fully valid, no matter what it is.  But what's not valid is making a blanket statement like above.  Since there's more than ample evidence to show that's not correct.

Good luck with your choices.

The 'clear' comment is in reference to the approach ZWO has taken with the ASIAir Pro and ASI2600.  The approach seems to be offer platitudes but no formal communication on how to fix these issues.  The AAP's fix seems to be to buy the new model or use a cable (defeats the purpose of "Air" in the name, no?).  Other than a forum post by a customer, did ZWO offer an official fix for the ASI2600? Has the problem been fixed at the factory? Or is the approach to simply keep selling until there is a new model?

I never said I wouldn't buy anything from ZWO, only that I would be hesitant to buy something that has a known problem. Which is why I'm asking for recommendations on alternative options for the ASI2600. 

• rockstarbill likes this

#7 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:26 PM

The 'clear' comment is in reference to the approach ZWO has taken with the ASIAir Pro and ASI2600. The approach seems to be offer platitudes but no formal communication on how to fix these issues. The AAP's fix seems to be to buy the new model or use a cable (defeats the purpose of "Air" in the name, no?). Other than a forum post by a customer, did ZWO offer an official fix for the ASI2600? Has the problem been fixed at the factory? Or is the approach to simply keep selling until there is a new model?

I never said I wouldn't buy anything from ZWO, only that I would be hesitant to buy something that has a known problem. Which is why I'm asking for recommendations on alternative options for the ASI2600.

Telling your customers you know it's a problem with your product, and to open up the camera and clean up their mess yourself isn't something I personally would support or be okay with. Clearly some folks here are, and that's their business. There are others here like me that have written them off as a result of poor QC. To each their own.

Edited by rockstarbill, 20 September 2021 - 12:26 PM.

• nemo129 and Pictor like this

#8 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Mariner 2

• Loc: Naples, Florida

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:45 PM

What is the problem with the ZWO 2600?

#9 Pictor

Pictor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:16 PM

What is the problem with the ZWO 2600?

Here's one of several threads on the topic... https://www.cloudyni...es/?p=10648008 

• rockstarbill likes this

#10 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:50 AM

The response from ZWO to this issue has not been great but the fix is pretty easy.  There's now a document on how to solve this problem head on:  https://www.dropbox....cedure.pdf?dl=0 

If I were ZWO I would make this public in their forum and instruct dealers on how to perform the clean up for users who cannot do it themselves.  Maybe offer a $50 coupon for that customer's next purchase?   

I have been using ZWO cameras since they first came out for planetary imaging - now 9 years ago (had an ASI120 to replace a Point Grey Research one).  I am surprised at how long they have come in terms of product offering.

Roberto

• jdupton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics