•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Optolong L-Pro effective as Luminance filter?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oneredpanther

oneredpanther

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:25 AM

Quick question: is the L-Pro an effective solution as a luminance filter? Particularly when shooting broadband targets. 

I've read that my naked mono sensor might suffer from UV/IR blooming when used in a pure luminance scenario; so I'm presuming that the gentle L-Pro might be the best solution for pin-sharp stars. 

Any experience?

#2 KungFood

KungFood

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Tx

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:33 AM

I have no direct experience in this, but I would assume that a UV/IR cut clear filter would be the best choice for Lum data.

#3 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:41 AM

If all you want is to control star bloat, an UV/IR cut is much cheaper and quite effective.

If you want to reduce a bit of light pollution, I'd say the L-pro should work fine. Note that's "a bit" of light pollution, the L-pro is not very strong.

From the data I've seen, the L-pro and similar filters do cut UV/IR to some extent, but not all copies have a hard cut like a UV/IR would. I've seen data suggesting there's some IR pass on the far IR range. So they're not perfect in this regard, just "adequate".

I use an Orion 5561 quite effectively, but not on its own. I have a CFW with LRGBSHO, and when I'm doing LRGB I'll slap the 5561 to the CC/FF, so I double-filter. I would leave the L slot clear in that case, and only use the 5561 with L and B and not with RG, but that causes backfocus complications, so I'm lazy and just keep both filters (the LRGB and the 5561) in place. That shields me from UV/IR bloat, even though it's not my main concern (the 5561 has a UV/IR drop, just as the L-pro), so YMMV if you use only the L-pro instead.

#4 imtl

imtl

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:38 PM

I actually don't understand your question. Are you asking purely in matters of UV/IR cut? in matters of collecting data? With both in mind? Are you asking about a mono setup? Luminance filter when used right is the edge mono cameras have on OSC in matters of broadband objects. No competition there when considering similar total integration. If you are asking about how to deal with light pollution, the way to go is to use the luminance and suck up those photons and integrate a lot more. LP filters are not really meant for a luminance + mono. If I didn't understand you then sorry.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics