•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unknown Mfg Mount Needs Motor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pete Allen

Pete Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:47 AM

Hello Friends,

Some years ago (~20) I bought a Lomo 150 mm Mak-Cas scope.  I love the scope - absolutely adore it.  But it came with a mount & tripod that appears somewhat generic, and the external, plastic-housed RA motor broke.  It had a female sleeve that screwed onto the lug sticking out of the mount, but the plastic (hate plastic) bracket snapped, and the thing is now worthless.  I can't justify buying a whole new mount just because of this.  Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a replacement drive?  It worked great - just didn't last.

Attached Thumbnails

• RA Motor.jpg
  • Mount.jpg

#2 petert913

petert913

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:28 PM

EQ-3 mount maybe ?

#3 Pete Allen

Pete Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:37 PM

Okay, so I have a call into Orion as well.  I dug out the doc that came with the mount, and it's an Orion SkyView Deluxe EQ mount.  Now I just need to find out if there's a way to get a replacement RA drive, since I assume the original can't be repaired.  At least it doesn't appear that it should be opened by the consumer.  Not that that has stopped me in the past, with occasional disastrous results...

#4 EJN

EJN

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:32 PM

That mount is a Taiwanese (made by GSO) knock-off of the Japanese Mizar AR-1 mount, which I have, and Mizar uses the exact same motor mounting system except the motor mount is all aluminum.

If you could fabricate or have someone make a new mounting plate from aluminum, you should be able to remount the motor. If it were me, I would epoxy the broken piece back on and attach 1/8" thick aluminum over where it broke using JB weld and a couple of screws tapped into the plastic.

Mizar AR-1

vx102ss-IMG_0136_2.jpg

Edited by EJN, 21 September 2021 - 09:15 AM.

• Pete Allen likes this

#5 Pete Allen

Pete Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:41 PM

Thanks very much EJN, that's super helpful!

--Pete

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics