•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FSQ-85EDX tube length/as air travel telescope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:00 PM

Hello,

at the official German Takahashi distributor, I found a reference to the tube length of the FSQ-85EDX with retracted dew shield to be 32cm (12,6 in) only. Everywhere else (even in the technical specs at the same site) I read it was 53 cm (20,8 in). I'm asking because I am seriously considering this refractor as an airline travel telescope. European airlines generally have carry-on luggage limited to 55cm length, so I feel a 53 cm refractor is a bit too long to safely package. I suspect the 32cm might be with the focuser removed. If so, how easy is it to reattach without introducing tilt? Any other tips for safe airline travel?

Thanks for your help!

• teashea likes this

#2 gzljh96

gzljh96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:00 PM

Takahashi's Japanese site list it as 525mm, or 52.5cm. 

https://www.takahash...m/products.html -> Select from the topmost dropdown

32.7cm might be the focal length when used with their 0.73x reducer.

Edit: on the flipside, you can place the scope diagonally inside a carry-on case. You get a theoretical 68cm diagonal line if the airline's luggage width limit is 40cm, which should be plenty for the FSQ-85 and even enough for a FC-100DZ (~60cm when hood retracted).

Edited by gzljh96, 20 September 2021 - 03:07 PM.

#3 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:24 PM

Takahashi's Japanese site list it as 525mm, or 52.5cm. 

https://www.takahash...m/products.html -> Select from the topmost dropdown

32.7cm might be the focal length when used with their 0.73x reducer.

Edit: on the flipside, you can place the scope diagonally inside a carry-on case. You get a theoretical 68cm diagonal line if the airline's luggage width limit is 40cm, which should be plenty for the FSQ-85 and even enough for a FC-100DZ (~60cm when hood retracted).

Yes, I‘m thinking that description at the vendor got confused.

Max luggage size is 55 x 40 x 2x cm. If I want 2cm padding around it, the refractor can just barely fit inside (I just looked up the formula to calculate that, it was rather more involved than I thought - need to consider the width of the refractor, too).

So, is anyone travelling with the FSQ by air or is this just a stupid idea?

#4 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:41 PM

I just measured my FSQ-85EDX. Without the CAA or a Diagonal but with 2" adapter screwed on for visual, length is 15.75" or 40.005cm.

Quite packable for transit.

Phil

• Erik Bakker, Castor, leviathan and 1 other like this

#5 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:16 AM

I just measured my FSQ-85EDX. Without the CAA or a Diagonal but with 2" adapter screwed on for visual, length is 15.75" or 40.005cm.

Quite packable for transit.

Phil

Thank you, that would, indeed, fit into carry on.

• Castor likes this

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:33 PM

The FSQ85 is a small, well balanced 3.5”-ish scope and easily portable as carry-on.

In fact, it is the most beautiful 4” and under scope I’ve ever seen. 

• Castor, leviathan, alfogator and 1 other like this

#7 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:09 PM

The FSQ85 is a small, well balanced 3.5”-ish scope and easily portable as carry-on.

In fact, it is the most beautiful 4” and under scope I’ve ever seen. 

Do they have collimation issues as the 106 has been reported as having?

My most beautiful under 4" is...

Attached Thumbnails

• unnamed (64).jpg

• Castor and Rasfahan like this

#8 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:15 PM

Thank you for all the information. My vendor confirmed air-travel suitability when removing the rotator. The FSQ is ordered, the wait time is surprisingly short. I‘ll post a first light report here (which will probably be moved to imaging… I‘m not good (yet) at star hopping to doubles and my skies are Bortle 6).

Do they have collimation issues as the 106 has been reported as having?

My most beautiful under 4" is...

In my research, the only reports of collimation issues with the FSQ-85 were from 2016 (not sure how many were the same person posting to different forums). I’ve also contacted people owning and imaging with them - learned to do my due diligence the hard and expensive way (Mesu…). I am also ordering from a vendor that I had great service from before, so I am sure any possible problem will be taken care of.

In Europe, TV is far too expensive, unfortunately. A NP121is is $11000. A 101is is $6000. The TV 85 is $3600 (they seem to not shine quite as brightly and golden here, though… the color is green). OTA-only. I can not imagine all that markup being customs and taxes as I‘ve ordered some expensive American things directly from the states or from local vendors before for competitive prices. Also, their eyepieces are priced to performsnce.

• Erik Bakker, Castor and 25585 like this

#9 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:20 AM

Congratulations! You’ll love that little beauty and it’s versatility.

• Castor likes this

#10 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:13 PM

Thank you for all the information. My vendor confirmed air-travel suitability when removing the rotator. The FSQ is ordered, the wait time is surprisingly short. I‘ll post a first light report here (which will probably be moved to imaging… I‘m not good (yet) at star hopping to doubles and my skies are Bortle 6).

In my research, the only reports of collimation issues with the FSQ-85 were from 2016 (not sure how many were the same person posting to different forums). I’ve also contacted people owning and imaging with them - learned to do my due diligence the hard and expensive way (Mesu…). I am also ordering from a vendor that I had great service from before, so I am sure any possible problem will be taken care of.

In Europe, TV is far too expensive, unfortunately. A NP121is is $11000. A 101is is $6000. The TV 85 is $3600 (they seem to not shine quite as brightly and golden here, though… the color is green). OTA-only. I can not imagine all that markup being customs and taxes as I‘ve ordered some expensive American things directly from the states or from local vendors before for competitive prices. Also, their eyepieces are priced to performsnce.

I have two FSQ85EXP's and the collimation on both has been excellent - they were shipped from Japan.

• Castor, leviathan and 25585 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics