•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ATIK 16200 Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:07 PM

Hi all!

Still trying to get the schools obsy up and running... now a problem with one of their cameras...

The subject camera... at the shortest exposure time... and with the lens cap on the camera nose piece still shows a completely white exposure... I expected that with the cap on it would be black or gray or speckled...

I haven't tried to contact ATIK yet...

i am using the imaging tool built into MountWizard4 

Thanx!

Jeff

#2 dandra

dandra

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:23 PM

Hi Jeff-

By "completely white" do you mean most pixels are reading out at the maximum value? Do you have a place, like DopBox to post at fit file? I have the Atik 16200 and I know that some software drivers can cause strange data values. 

David

#3 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:28 AM

Hi Jeff-

By "completely white" do you mean most pixels are reading out at the maximum value? Do you have a place, like DopBox to post at fit file? I have the Atik 16200 and I know that some software drivers can cause strange data values. 

David

I'm not familiar with the MountWizzard4 tool enough to be certain as to what is going on... I set an exposure time of .001 put the cap on the nose piece... and the resultant images WERE pure white... like looking at a sheet of white paper...

I capitalized the word "WERE" because after letting it run for a while I started getting gray bands... I'm not sure if this is because there are no lenses in the path to focus, or that it is because between the camera sensor and the nose piece cap there is a filter wheel with some sort of filter (I'm waiting for the person that installed the filters to tell me what filter is in each slot...)

In any case, I took a couple of screen prints of the resultant banding, but forgot to transfer them to my phone... go figure... in any case, it looked like banding you'd see on an agate... but all gray tone... 

I know this isn't much to go on... but I'm thinking I just need to get out there at night and give it a shot... I do get the ZWO cameras to work.... I can focus on a tree and get leaves, so I think I'm running the App correctly...

#4 dandra

dandra

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:20 AM

Understood. One way to evaluate the 16200 would be to download the supporting and imaging software from Atik and repeat the test. If everything in the process is Atik, including the capture software, then you probably have a hardware problem with the camera. 

#5 Ruediger

Ruediger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:04 AM

Hi,

please keep in mind the ATIK 16200 has a manual shutter. This has a certain mechanical restriction. I had owned one and was fighting these issues with ATIK support. any exposure below 1 or 2 seconds will lead to some weird shutter effects,

ATIK support advices to stay above 2s. Especially for flats. 
This was also one reason to abandon the ATIK16200, besides other shutter issues e.g. causing particles on the sensor. 

CS

Ruediger

#6 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:04 AM

Thank you... yep... the 16200 will be primarily for DSO and I expect that the shortest exposure time that we will use in practise will be 15 sec and likely greater than 2 minutes...

But your point is well taken for my testing... maybe there is an issue with my trying to take too short of test subs... I'll ramp it up to 30 seconds to see if that helps...

Tx,
Jeff

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics