•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron Skyguider Pro vs SmartEQ Pro+

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SkywatcherCO

SkywatcherCO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:19 PM

Hello All,

Just looking for a little input regarding these two items. I have a Nikon D7100 I want to use for Astrophotography and wondering which one might be best, I'm leaning towards the SmartEQ Pro+ only because I really don't want to spend an hour or two trying to point the camera at an object. With the SmartEq it looks like once I have it aligned I can have it slew to what I would like to photograph. In the future I may want to use a small telescope and camera so I understand there is a weight limit.

Any input would be very helpful from anyone that has used these products.

Thanks All

#2 1983cowboy

1983cowboy

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:01 PM

The SmartEq Pro doesn’t get a lot of love, but I’ve had one for a handful of years and I still have fun with it. As long as the batteries are fresh (or the Talentcell recharged) my goto’s are pretty good, especially since I stick with nice wide fields. If my battery gets low, it starts acting a little goofy.

The trick is to know the mount’s limitations. If you keep the weight down and balance everything reasonably well, my SmartEq does fine with a DSLR and lens. When I use a small telescope (AT60ED) and DSLR, I have better luck if I autoguide.

All that said, be aware that the tripod that comes with it is not great, but there are some steps you can take to make it better. Here are a few: https://www.flickr.c...2011/8378408981

Buy a Vixen-style dovetail to mount the camera, and you should be in business. The only other accessory I’d recommend is maybe a red-dot finder with a hot shoe adapter to put on top of the camera. Mine is similar to this: http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_slrf.htm

Have fun!

• johrich likes this

#3 SkywatcherCO

SkywatcherCO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:14 PM

Thanks 1983cowboy, appreciate the input. I'll check out the links

#4 johrich

johrich

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:02 PM

I also have had a Smart EQ Pro+ and use it with an AT72EDII, ASI183MC pro, ASIAIR and guide with it. I have had a lot of fun and success with this setup. I am pushing things with AT72EDII weight wise, but with guiding and the ASIAIR, it works well.

John

#5 SkywatcherCO

SkywatcherCO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:31 PM

Thanks John, you both are solidifying my choice for the Smart EQ Pro+

#6 SkywatcherCO

SkywatcherCO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:38 PM

Today I talked to support at High Point Scientific and they are saying the SmartEQ Pro+ may have been discontinued but waiting to here if it's being replaced with something newer. I sent an Email to iOptron to see the status but who knows if I'll hear back. They may be trying to push the Skyguider Pro

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics