•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Picked up C8 Deluxe this weekend. No tripod, no wedge. What should I do?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bhayward

bhayward

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hillsboro, OR

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:57 PM

I picked up a 11018 Celestron C8 Deluxe with that has a built in clock drive and was originally sold with a tripod and wedge for polar alignment.

I did not get the tripod or wedge with it.  I also have an older CG-4 mount that is currently used by a C102-HD refractor.

I'll use the SCT for Visual, but may dabble in photography - so having some rough tracking would be nice.  Not looking for perfection here.

Looking for advice and ideas for next steps with this scope.  These are the options, as far as I can tell:

1. Remove OTA from fork and mount it on my CG-4 and add a clock drive to the CG-4.
    1. The OTA fork mount is connected to the back plate of the C8 (looks like one piece of metal).
    2. I guess I can just leave that back-plate on and put a vixen mount on it.
  2. Purchase a new tripod + wedge - and use built-in tracking.
    1. If I could find used/cheap tripod + Wedge... I might do this.
    2. But new is probably too much for this scope, glancing at prices online for a wedge + tripod.
  3. Something home made?
  4. Give up tracking and use it as a manual table-top Alt/Az?

Also - there is an RJ45 plug that is connected to the alt/az encoders for the base and the arm.  What is this supposed to plug into?  The fork base has only RJ11 (or maybe RJ12) plugs on it.  Clearly i'm missing something else beyond the Tripod and Wedge...

This page describes the scope in more detail: http://www.company7....ducts/sch6.html

Thanks!

Edited by bhayward, 20 September 2021 - 03:01 PM.

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:54 PM

my C8 rides well on my driven CG4.  travels well also.  I would never consider AP with this setup but it is great for visual.  for motor drive, I bought the dual axis kit and just left the dec motor in the box.

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Aurora

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:00 PM

There is a split "y" modular cable that goes from each encoder to an Advanced Astro Master DSC computer (you can use almost any other DSC computer). That makes the mount "push-to".

#4 bhayward

bhayward

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:02 PM

my C8 rides well on my driven CG4.  travels well also.  I would never consider AP with this setup but it is great for visual.  for motor drive, I bought the dual axis kit and just left the dec motor in the box.

Did yours have the same back-plate that connects to the fork mount on the sides?  If so, I'd love to see what it looks like once you get it out of the fork (before I go through the effort).

• Mike G. likes this

#5 bhayward

bhayward

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:03 PM

There is a split "y" modular cable that goes from each encoder to an Advanced Astro Master DSC computer (you can use almost any other DSC computer). That makes the mount "push-to".

Yes, definitely a Y cable.   Thanks!  That explains it.

#6 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:45 PM

Did yours have the same back-plate that connects to the fork mount on the sides?  If so, I'd love to see what it looks like once you get it out of the fork (before I go through the effort).

sorry, I put mine in rings

IMG_7322s.jpg

• Castor likes this

#7 JamesDuffey

JamesDuffey

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cedar Crest NM

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:56 PM

If you can find a used Wedgepod, a combination wedge-tripod, that the Celestar came on, that is an inexpensive solution. It is a bit clunky with no azimuth adjustment, but it is serviceable for visual use. I paid $75 for mine. 

Edited to change Quad pod to Wedgepod

Edited by JamesDuffey, 20 September 2021 - 08:38 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics