•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post your photos of nobile crater

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:48 PM

It looks like the viper rover launching next year will be be exploring nobile….. if it finds water ice then it’s a pretty good bet this will be the Artemis landing site also….. I don’t know this area good enough to find it so it you have imaged this area then please label and post

• Sky King likes this

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for sharing. Here's a write-up about it. 

#3 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:27 PM

GSBass, at just over 85° South, I think Nobile is too close to the pole to image, just too much foreshortening. It is just South of crater Scott, which itself is a real challenge. Nobile was labelled as "Scott A" in older literature (e.g. my Rükl atlas, 1990 edition).

#4 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:51 PM

Thanks…that’s too bad, I was really wanting to image the area while they walk around up there….that would be extra cool and special but it will still be cool anyway just photographing the general area…. I was thinking since it is a high spot we maybe would be able to detect the bump on the limb

GSBass, at just over 85° South, I think Nobile is too close to the pole to image, just too much foreshortening. It is just South of crater Scott, which itself is a real challenge. Nobile was labelled as "Scott A" in older literature (e.g. my Rükl atlas, 1990 edition).

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:12 PM

It's definitely capable of being imaged, and I have done so on several occasions.....however......the libration and lighting required to see the region is somewhat rare.  I have several posts on the South Polar region, and although I didn't specifically label Nobile, it is quite obvious in the images, adjacent and somewhat in between Amundsen, Faustini, and Scott, which I did label.  

https://www.cloudyni...imum-libration/

https://www.cloudyni...the-south-pole/

• Sky King and GSBass like this

#6 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:19 PM

I found this dark image I took, but can't make out nobile. But it does give a wider view of the area. My best guess is all the way at the bottom, slightly left of center. Demonax is to the right. Tom Glenn's images look great! 

Moon cropped

Edited by Sky King, 20 September 2021 - 09:39 PM.

• GSBass likes this

#7 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:40 PM

It's definitely capable of being imaged, and I have done so on several occasions.....however......the libration and lighting required to see the region is somewhat rare.  I have several posts on the South Polar region, and although I didn't specifically label Nobile, it is quite obvious in the images, adjacent and somewhat in between Amundsen, Faustini, and Scott, which I did label.  

https://www.cloudyni...imum-libration/

https://www.cloudyni...the-south-pole/

Nice work. I've observed but not imaged Scott, but not confident of anything further South of that. I've not seen libration and lighting as favourable as in your 20 July 2018 image.

#8 Howard Fink

Howard Fink

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:35 PM

lac144.jpg nobile.jpg

Here is a section of Lunar Astronautical Chart 144, an overhead view.

Below it is a snapshot of a 3D render of the area around Nobile  looking North.

• John_Moore, j.gardavsky and GSBass like this

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:22 PM

The unnamed crater in this LPOD image from February 28, 2008 here that is touched by the Leibnitz beta plateau (LB), Shoemaker crater (Sh), Faustini crater (F) and Amundsen is crater Nobile.

Another image is here 

• GSBass likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics