•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shooting in H alpha all the time?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spangz

Spangz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:22 PM

I was thinking about modifying my DSLR camera and was wondering if I send it in if they can replace the IR filter with a H-alpha filter? Or do u need to be able to shoot without the filter in as well

#2 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:31 PM

I was thinking about modifying my DSLR camera and was wondering if I send it in if they can replace the IR filter with a H-alpha filter? Or do u need to be able to shoot without the filter in as well

Why would you do that instead of a full spectrum or mono mod + H-alpha clip-in filter or something like that?

The clip-in filter you can at least change without having to re-mod the camera. If you want to leave it there forever, you're free to do so.

Edited by klaussius, 20 September 2021 - 04:31 PM.

#3 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:36 PM

I think they sell a T-Ring in which you can screw in a 2 Inch filter.. Or buy a cheap manual 5 position filter wheel and use that.. At least that way when you are ready you can add your other filters and then move up to a EFW..

Yes I know, I know, another question followed by spend more money to fix the problem.. But this is the hobby we are in..

Edited by ChiTownXring, 20 September 2021 - 04:37 PM.

#4 pedxing

pedxing

Vanguard

• Loc: SE Alaska

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:38 PM

Permanently mounting a Ha filter in your camera is going to be limiting in a lot of ways.

Unless you do a mono mod, you would only be using 1/4 of your pixels (the red ones).

Doing things like focusing and framing will be very difficult through a Ha filter.

At one point I spent a fair bit of time/money getting set up with both a full-spectrum mod and a mono mod. In the end, I only use my full-spectrum mod camera (as a second/osc/travel camera).

I quickly (but not quickly enough to save a bunch of money) realized that a dedicated mono cooled astro camera is a way better option if I really wanted to do narrowband. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics