•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1st Scope ordered!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 drotto25

drotto25

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:02 PM

Ok, I guess I posted in the wrong  forum asking for suggestions, but I am here now, and thanks for the input!!!

I got a Sky Watcher 10in. Flextube 250P SynScan GoTo Collapsible Dobsonian Telescope. It was actually in stock, and I qualified for a first time buyer discount!!!!  I know I need to buy a shroud, but have not found one in stock yet, may need to improvise something, but that does not seem too hard.  I know I need a collimator.  I will start with the stock eyepieces, and hunt the classified ads here to try different "new" ones.  

• ShaulaB, havasman, xvariablestarx and 10 others like this

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:08 PM

Congratulations for not only stepping out there and making decisions but for making good ones too! You chose a fine telescope and have a good plan. Another classifieds site you may find valuable is Astromart. The nominal annual fee and requirement that you actually identify yourself there tends to keep the predatory riff-raff off the site.

• Jethro7 likes this

#3 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:16 PM

Congratulations for not only stepping out there and making decisions but for making good ones too! You chose a fine telescope and have a good plan. Another classifieds site you may find valuable is Astromart. The nominal annual fee and requirement that you actually identify yourself there tends to keep the predatory riff-raff off the site.

Completely ridiculous that in 2021 they ask for payment for online classifieds.

Hello, astrobuysell, facebook marketplace, craigslist

#4 drotto25

drotto25

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:30 PM

I was originally making it too complicated.  I do not mind some learning curve, but did not want one that would stop me from just enjoying.  Once I figure out the collimation (will likely get a laser one, so looking for suggestions), everything else seems relatively simple. I will likely target the Celstron 8-24 mm zoom lens as a safe first eyepiece, and may grab a 2x Barlow also, but not bank breaking high end optics yet. I know this scope can except 2 inch eyepieces for wide field viewing so may look into one of those also. I have a Joann's fabric close to my home so will look there to make a shroud. That may be temporary, but the "official" ones all appear out of stock.

• havasman, therealdmt and zakry3323 like this

#5 zakry3323

zakry3323

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:40 PM

I was originally making it too complicated.  I do not mind some learning curve, but did not want one that would stop me from just enjoying.  Once I figure out the collimation (will likely get a laser one, so looking for suggestions), everything else seems relatively simple. I will likely target the Celstron 8-24 mm zoom lens as a safe first eyepiece, and may grab a 2x Barlow also, but not bank breaking high end optics yet. I know this scope can except 2 inch eyepieces for wide field viewing so may look into one of those also. I have a Joann's fabric close to my home so will look there to make a shroud. That may be temporary, but the "official" ones all appear out of stock.

Good plans, all around, and a great, wisely frugal way to get started. Do plenty of research and look through other 1200mm newts before deciding on nice 2" eyepieces to find a sharp/flat/wide field vs cost ratio that works well for you!

#6 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:46 PM

You may find a homemade shroud will be all you ever need. That's a purely functional item. There are several ways to collimate. I like a laser. Some lasers are better built than others. The difference can largely be overcome by using the Barlowed laser collimation method. You can search it up on the forums or Google it. That zoom can be well used to find what focal length range best supports your observing at your site. Then you can focus on that range if you decide to upgrade your eyepiece kit. The zoom will have a sweet spot in its midrange focal lengths you will want to be aware of as you see what's best for you.

• zakry3323 likes this

#7 drotto25

drotto25

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:52 PM

I am apparently Bortle class 6, so not too horrible.

#8 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:59 PM

Congratulations on a great scope purchase! that thing will keep you busy for years!

#9 brentknight

brentknight

Soyuz

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:01 PM

Although the info here is generally excellent, you might want to pick up a couple books to get you started.

Turn Left at Orion

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide

And welcome to Cloudy Nights and congratulations on the new telescope.

#10 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:01 PM

Welcome to C/N! flowerred.gif  If you're considering a zoom for your first eyepiece, the Baader Mark lV 8-24 zoom with it's dedicated 2.25x barlow is a better choice but 3x the price. Is it 3x better?...no, but you will appreciate it once you forget how much you paid for it. I'm like that anyway. The Baader and a decent wide 2" eyepiece could do you for a very long time. Best of luck to you and your choices! hmm.gif

• areyoukiddingme, kenny moses and Notdarkenough like this

#11 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:31 PM

Look at the Onesky thread and see if that style of shroud would work on a flextube.

#12 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

• Loc: Texas

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:37 PM

That’s a big ole light bucket! I like the idea of the Flextube for car travel. Good choice.

I’ve been at this a little over a year and somehow have accumulated TEN telescopes! None of them cost me much. Just experimenting a bit before I move a few along for someone else to enjoy.

But the eyepieces are a different story. A zoom is a good idea I think. That’s what I started with. And a barlow. You really don’t need more than maybe one widest field eyepiece to go with it. I went a little overboard from this philosophy and got a 20-100, 28-82, and a 40-70.
My advice... don’t visit the eyepiece forum too much.

Edited by Echolight, 20 September 2021 - 07:51 PM.

• therealdmt likes this

#13 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:39 PM

Look at the Onesky thread and see if that style of shroud would work on a flextube.

#14 drotto25

drotto25

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:25 PM

I just ok'd the shipping.  Wow shipping for 65 lbs of stuff is expensive.

#15 ColdestCrow

ColdestCrow

Explorer 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:04 PM

I just ok'd the shipping. Wow shipping for 65 lbs of stuff is expensive.

Shame that they didn’t include the shipping! Maybe it’s just the places I’ve been shopping recently but I feel like most scopes I’ve ever ordered have had free shipping.

Either way congratulations on your new scope, sounds like you have a good plan and I bet you’re going to have a blast! Here’s hoping you have some warm clothes for all the nights you’ll be spending outside this winter…

#16 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:49 PM

Ok, I guess I posted in the wrong  forum asking for suggestions, but I am here now, and thanks for the input!!!

I got a Sky Watcher 10in. Flextube 250P SynScan GoTo Collapsible Dobsonian Telescope. It was actually in stock, and I qualified for a first time buyer discount!!!!  I know I need to buy a shroud, but have not found one in stock yet, may need to improvise something, but that does not seem too hard.  I know I need a collimator.  I will start with the stock eyepieces, and hunt the classified ads here to try different "new" ones.  

Hello Drotto25,

Congratulations on your purchase, remember the list that I gave you on a few things you will need for the Dob on your first Topic. Have fun and keep us posted.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#17 drotto25

drotto25

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:07 PM

Shame that they didn’t include the shipping! Maybe it’s just the places I’ve been shopping recently but I feel like most scopes I’ve ever ordered have had free shipping.

Either way congratulations on your new scope, sounds like you have a good plan and I bet you’re going to have a blast! Here’s hoping you have some warm clothes for all the nights you’ll be spending outside this winter…

Yeah, I was disappointed also.  I got a decent discount, so it basically ended up offsetting.  Like so many things there are massive supply chain issues.  Once I had decided what I wanted to do, it took a few hours to not only find a scope that fit my desires but was actually in stock.  So many were listed as backordered, or extended lead time, or just plain out of stock. The sites that were honest enough to list lead times for restock were often months away. Order now and get it next summer type stuff.

On a side note, am I one of the few the gets the My Hero Academia profile picture?

#18 therealdmt

therealdmt

Apollo

• Loc: 35° N

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:36 PM

On a side note, am I one of the few the gets the My Hero Academia profile picture?

Congrats on your upcoming scope! If one were in stock locally, I’d probably be buying the same one (though without the GoTo stuff). There’s a lot to like about that platform.

About the profile pic, you have to add one of your own. Click on your user name (if you’re using a computer, it’ll probably be way in the upper right hand corner of this page), go to My Profile, then Edit My Profile and then, well, edit your profile so as to add a Photo (avatar picture) of your choosing. The only tricky part is that the photo has to be of a small enough file size to comply with CloudyNights’ upload size limit, so you may find that you have to downsize whatever photo you desire to use before you’re able to upload it. Anyway, give it a try and all will become clear soon enough

Edited by therealdmt, 21 September 2021 - 04:10 AM.

#19 NWOSky

NWOSky

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:48 AM

Congrats. I too just ordered my first real telescope, a Celestron 6Se. I had been looking for the last six months and everything seemed to be out of stock. I happened to look at the Celestron site at 3 am last week and clicked on their listed retailers and they had them in stock. So I agonized over it for another half hour (even though I had saved up the money specifically for this) but then I finally hit the confirm button. UPS has and it is scheduled to be delivered Thursday. So expect 6 straight weeks of rain and clouds in Ohio starting Thursday, lol.

• therealdmt and Echolight like this

#20 drotto25

drotto25

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:34 AM

Congrats. I too just ordered my first real telescope, a Celestron 6Se. I had been looking for the last six months and everything seemed to be out of stock. I happened to look at the Celestron site at 3 am last week and clicked on their listed retailers and they had them in stock. So I agonized over it for another half hour (even though I had saved up the money specifically for this) but then I finally hit the confirm button. UPS has and it is scheduled to be delivered Thursday. So expect 6 straight weeks of rain and clouds in Ohio starting Thursday, lol.

I do not have a delivery date yet.  Have not really told the wife yet either.   She is going to think it it massive and crazy of me.

Edited by drotto25, 21 September 2021 - 07:35 AM.

• NWOSky likes this

#21 laurelg9

laurelg9

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dayton, OH, USA

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:28 AM

FWIW, I have never been able to set up an account on Astromart, and not for lack of trying. For whatever reason, each time I've requested (and paid, or tried to pay) for access, they've simply denied it and won't answer my questions.  I don't exactly think of myself as "predatory riff-raff," but apparently, Astromart does.  lol.gif

#22 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Apollo

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:48 AM

Congrats on your new scope! You are going to have a lot of fun with it.

I would recommend start reading reviews on different eyepieces and read the threads in the "eyepiece" forum to start getting an idea about them. Even though you may be weeks or months away from buying any you will be more informed about what might be best for you. 

Don't forget accessories that will make it more easier: a good star chart, an adjustable chair or stool and a variable polarizing lunar filter- this is a must with a scope of that size; the moon (especially near full) is going to be way too bright to look at without some kind of light filtration

#23 LIVE LONG

LIVE LONG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:08 PM

drotto25,

Congratulations on your scope purchase. I am confident you will get a ton of use out of it. A 10" DOB is a scope that you can have for a lifetime, and never get tired of it!

I own a Celestron 8-24mm zoom eyepiece. It's o.k., not great, just o.k.! The Baader zoom gets a lot of positive comments, here on Cloudy Night's. It might be worth looking into, if your budget allows!

Good Luck with the scope!

#24 drotto25

drotto25

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:30 PM

drotto25,
Congratulations on your scope purchase. I am confident you will get a ton of use out of it. A 10" DOB is a scope that you can have for a lifetime, and never get tired of it!

I own a Celestron 8-24mm zoom eyepiece. It's o.k., not great, just o.k.! The Baader zoom gets a lot of positive comments, here on Cloudy Night's. It might be worth looking into, if your budget allows!

Good Luck with the scope!

The Baader seems the way to go. Just need to save up a bit. I like the idea it comes with the Barlow also. So I will use the stock ones for at least a few weeks.

Is the Orion Laser collimator the best one to get? I see many cheaper as well as more expensive ones. Does it make a difference?

I am likely making a shroud, need the scope to measure it.

What programs for either iPad, or computer do people like? This scope has Goto, and I am sure it works adequately, but are there some other apps that may be fun or do a better job?

Even though this is not a good AP rig (I do not need tons of explaining on that front), if I wanted to take a few simple Moon or planet shots what would I need? I have a Sony a6300, so I know I need the e mount for that camera, are there any other pieces required?

Thanks.

#25 LIVE LONG

LIVE LONG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:54 PM

The Baader seems the way to go. Just need to save up a bit. I like the idea it comes with the Barlow also. So I will use the stock ones for at least a few weeks.

Is the Orion Laser collimator the best one to get? I see many cheaper as well as more expensive ones. Does it make a difference?

I am likely making a shroud, need the scope to measure it.

What programs for either iPad, or computer do people like? This scope has Goto, and I am sure it works adequately, but are there some other apps that may be fun or do a better job?

Even though this is not a good AP rig (I do not need tons of explaining on that front), if I wanted to take a few simple Moon or planet shots what would I need? I have a Sony a6300, so I know I need the e mount for that camera, are there any other pieces required?

Thanks.

drotto25,

I can almost guarantee that you will like the Baader zoom.

I am not sure about the Orion collimator. I use a Howie Glatter laser w/ Tublug, & a Howie Glatter Parallizer. It is an expensive investment, for sure. Price aside, I never had any regrets purchasing the Glatter setup. There are laser collimators, that are less expensive, that do a good job. Farpoint collimators, get a lot of comments here on CN. Regardless of which laser collimator you purchase, you should purchase a combination chesire/ sight tube. I own the Celestron model # 94182. You will need this tool on your initial setup, before you can use the laser.

You should seriously look into SkySafari Plus or Pro. It is an incredible app, for astronomy. You can connect it to your scope, if you wish. I personally think SkySafari Plus is one of the best investments I made, for astronomy, along with my Glatter setup!!!

I am sorry, but I know nothing about AP. I am strictly a visual observer.

Edited by LIVE LONG, 21 September 2021 - 02:13 PM.

• rajilina likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics