•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Contacting Sumerian Optics

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brutusdriver

brutusdriver

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:12 PM

Does anyone have an email address other than info@sumerianoptics.com they've used to communicate with Michael at Sumerian Optics?

I've been considering a 12" Alkaid as a travel Dob, but have been unsuccessful in reaching him in two months of trying via the contact address (info@sumerianoptics.com) listed on his web site.

Thanks!

Jim

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:22 PM

https://www.teleskop...ian Optics.html

distribution

• CowTipton likes this

#3 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:24 PM

Does anyone have an email address other than info@sumerianoptics.com they've used to communicate with Michael at Sumerian Optics?
I've been considering a 12" Alkaid as a travel Dob, but have been unsuccessful in reaching him in two months of trying via the contact address (info@sumerianoptics.com) listed on his web site.
Thanks!
Jim

If by traveling you mean flying, make sure a 12"+case passes size restrictions on carry-on luggage.

Rob Teeter recommended a 11" as maximum the size will pass all restrictions. I gave a 10" summerian in my list of possible future scopes, just for that purpose. It will take certainly some years to start serious consideration for reasons other than the scope itself.

Good luck!

#4 sixela

sixela

Hubble

• Loc: Boechout, Belgium

Posted 21 September 2021 - 06:12 AM

Thanks!

Jim

That is weird; he's usually quite responsive (though it may take him a couple of days, or more if he's on holiday). If you send me a PM with your address I'll send him a mail.

Michael is one of those people who refuse to have a phone, so yes, even I have to use that address. It's either that or driving to his house.

Edited by sixela, 21 September 2021 - 06:13 AM.

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:34 PM

That is weird; he's usually quite responsive (though it may take him a couple of days, or more if he's on holiday). If you send me a PM with your address I'll send him a mail. Michael is one of those people who refuse to have a phone, so yes, even I have to use that address. It's either that or driving to his house.

I am also weird. I have a smart phone, but only use it when I want to make a call, or when I need to be available for a serious reason. For most use, my wife and I only use a land line phone service provided by Spectrum. We have to tell businesses that the number is not a cell phone and will not take texts. We also don't text, except in rare cases. The letters are too small and clumsy. Email and landline phoneline. Coupled with the Internet, we get by just fine. My kids and grandkids think we are dinosaurs. We are!

• alexvh, astrofun, TomK1 and 1 other like this

#6 BGazing

BGazing

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:41 PM

That is weird; he's usually quite responsive (though it may take him a couple of days, or more if he's on holiday). If you send me a PM with your address I'll send him a mail.

Michael is one of those people who refuse to have a phone, so yes, even I have to use that address. It's either that or driving to his house.

He has suddenly stopped responding. I have been in contact with him over the summer re econders for my Alkaid, there was some delay in responding (he explained why), but for the past two months he has not replied, and that got me worried for real. At this point I do not care about the encoders, I just hope he is well.

#7 sixela

sixela

Hubble

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:36 PM

So do I. I saw him last beginning of September, and he was very much alive. Perhaps I'll drive to his house one of these days, but if he doesn't answer mails that usually means he's really busy.

But yeah, I hope he's OK too.

#8 BGazing

BGazing

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:11 AM

So do I. I saw him last beginning of September, and he was very much alive. Perhaps I'll drive to his house one of these days, but if he doesn't answer mails that usually means he's really busy.

But yeah, I hope he's OK too.

Well, I was in Holland beginning of September and it was either I drive to see him and pick something up or he sends it to my hotel, to give you the context...

#9 alexvh

alexvh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 October 2021 - 03:36 AM

i hope he is OK. great guy and amazing telescopes. his alkaid is an engineering marvel

• BGazing likes this

#10 sixela

sixela

Hubble

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:03 AM

Just talked to Michael.

He took a three week holiday and forgot to set up a vacation message...

I'd suggest sending him an e-mail again if you have a query. Knowing him I doubt he's going to go through his older e-mails stacked in his mailbox with meticulous care.

Alternatively, you can contact TS who'll forward the question.

• sanbai likes this

#11 BGazing

BGazing

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:36 AM

Yup, he contacted me, too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics