•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Mosaic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Destin1701

Destin1701

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boston area, MA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:35 PM

I've been at this for many years and never tried my hand at a mosaic until now. This is a simple (as if) two panel mosaic of IC1396. Preprocessing was done in PI as well as stitching the panels together - a combination of StarAlignment and GradientMergeMosaic tools. Luckily, I didn't have much in the form of gradients to trouble with (unlike the one I'm working on now - ugh) and I was pleased with how well this went together. After processing the mosaic for each channel (Ha, SII, OIII) I processed starless images of each using StarNet++ and used tonemapping to process from there using PS. Stars were added back and Ha channel was used for luminance.

This expansive nebula, approximately 2400 light years from Earth in the constellation Cepheus, contains gasses and dust irradiated and compressed from a nearby massive star.  This has given rise to stellar nurseries throughout the molecular cloud which have blown away surrounding gas and dust into distinct shapes.  One such nursery exists in the large globule at the end of the gas plume in this image.  Two young stars have expelled gasses around them to form the hole that makes the eye of the Elephant.

Quick stats:

Stellarvue 105

Modded Atlas mount

QSI6120wsg-8

Astrodon filters SHO

19+ hrs total integration

Processed in PI and PS

C&C always welcome, thanks for looking. 

Destin

get.jpg?insecure

• Gregory, Jim Waters, R Botero and 13 others like this

#2 JamesTX

JamesTX

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:57 AM

Looks great.. love the dust in there.  I don't see a seam :)

• Destin1701 and licho52 like this

#3 Destin1701

Destin1701

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 04:23 PM

Looks great.. love the dust in there.  I don't see a seam smile.gif

Thanks James. PI did a good job with this one. I'm working on a 4 panel right now that has gradients all over the place and it's having a lot more trouble with the seams!

• JamesTX likes this

#4 JamesTX

JamesTX

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:20 PM

Thanks James. PI did a good job with this one. I'm working on a 4 panel right now that has gradients all over the place and it's having a lot more trouble with the seams!

Yea.. gradients are tough on mosaics.  I try to gather mosaic data with the same sky conditions and avoid the moon as much as possible.  For example, the 4 panel I'm currently working has been put on hold until the moon drops back below 50%.

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:47 PM

That's a beautiful image, Destin.

• Destin1701 likes this

#6 Destin1701

Destin1701

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:17 PM

Yea.. gradients are tough on mosaics.  I try to gather mosaic data with the same sky conditions and avoid the moon as much as possible.  For example, the 4 panel I'm currently working has been put on hold until the moon drops back below 50%.

Good advice James. I tried to cycle between panels during image capture as much as possible over a few nights, and reversed the order each night. Interestingly, three of the panels seemed to integrate just fine but one gave me gobs of trouble. After downloading David Ault's DNALinearFit script I finally got it to work. It seems linear fits are picky about which you choose to fit to. Took multiple attempts but finally worked pretty well. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics