•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice for Skywatcher 120ed; mount, focuser upgrade ?

Equipment Refractor Tripod
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:49 PM

My only gripe is that it only has 50mm of back focus. Not sure why they decided to make it this way but fortunately I had a 35mm extender. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20210927_172358.jpg

"Focusing range, or "outward focus". Back focus implies inward focusing (it's a camera thing).

I put one on my ED100 and thus far the 80 mm has been plenty. It's a really nice focuser!

• Dobserver likes this

#27 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:09 PM

The Stellarvue M002C is a good mount.

Agreed; especially. with the extension column and handle, sitting on the stainless steel tripod with the 2" thick legs.  You need the height for zenith views with the SW 120ED.  It doesn't, of course, have the go-to capability OP is seeking.

Edited by Kutno, 08 October 2021 - 02:11 PM.

• vdog likes this

#28 Dobserver

Dobserver

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA, USA

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:51 PM

"Focusing range, or "outward focus". Back focus implies inward focusing (it's a camera thing).

I put one on my ED100 and thus far the 80 mm has been plenty. It's a really nice focuser!

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't quite sure if I was using the right term!

• SteveG likes this

#29 Dobserver

Dobserver

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA, USA

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:57 PM

I have the 120 and it does very well on the Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 mount.  That's the mount I would recommend for this scope.  I have the Orion version and use it in AZ mode almost all of the time, but have the option to easily switch to EQ if needed.  Before I had the AVX mount and between the two the AZ-EQ 5 is much better.  I don't know why somebody said the AZ-EQ5 was barely adequate for the 120 because I also have a 140 mm refractor and the mount handles it just fine.  At 11 lbs the 120 is far below the 30 lb capacity of this mount.  

Thanks. Yes, it looks like a high quality and very rugged mount. It would also be a nice future-proofing mount, if I ever get an even bigger scope and/or start astrophotography. I'm thinking I probably need something a little lighter and smaller (and cheaper!) at this point, though. I will keep my eye on it. 

PS Lol yes the "barely adequate" comment was puzzling grin.gif

• Jon_Doh likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Refractor, Tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics