•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky & Telescope 80 year anniversary

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:04 AM

Happy anniversary Sky & Telescope.  It's quite an accomplishment to be able to make it this long in a niche hobby. I have the majority of magazines as well as a good amount of "The Sky" before the merged with "The Telescope ". Only missing half of 1949 and all of 1948.

Glad to see the magazine is in good shape nowadays after uncertain times a few years ago. Here's to another 80 years hopefully. 

Sky And telescope4
Sky And telescope2
Sky And telescope3

• George N, Illinois, Traveler and 12 others like this

#2 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:32 AM

WOW! Holy C***! That is amazing. I started reading Sky and Telescope when I was in grade 7. I had worked much of the summer at a Townhouse complex where my father was installing kitchen cabinets and the head of the place noticed that I was there everyday (my Dad took me along for some reason). The head guy offered me a job. So by the end of the month I had earned enough to buy my first telescope and for an entire years subscription to Sky and Telescope.

I have to admit that back then the magazine was more geared to the "Technical types" with much of it way above me, but I didn't care. I read what I could understand and enjoyed the ads. If funds would have allowed I would kept up with the subscription Technical aspects not withstanding. I especially loved Alika Herrings sketches of Lunar features and gleanings for ATM's.

My local branch of the Public Library carried Sky and Telescope so that was nice. I would stop in on my way home from High School to read it as well as check umpteen books on Astronomy.

Eighty years, wow!

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• GOLGO13, George N, Castor and 3 others like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:30 AM

There is a great article in the issue by one of our Portland club members, Howard Banich.  He tells about his boyhood-to-manhood love of telescopes and astronomy.  Reading Sky and Telescope and a peek at Saturn as a kid were his spark.  It's a very fun read.

• George N and Castor like this

#4 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

• Loc: Dixon, IL. Bortle 2 land in Wis.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:52 AM

Wow! That’s a lot of magazines! I join Astronomy Club in high school in 1975. I read lot of S&T magazines in club.  I got some 1961 magazines and 1970’s, and 1980’s magazines from EBay.  I got November 1961 because that’s I born and cool to read it and know where planets are at my time in 1961.  Today is improve and better articles and keep going for other 80 years! 

• Castor likes this

#5 Crusty99

Crusty99

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 October 2021 - 11:05 PM

Happy anniversary Sky & Telescope.  It's quite an accomplishment to be able to make it this long in a niche hobby. I have the majority of magazines as well as a good amount of "The Sky" before the merged with "The Telescope ". Only missing half of 1949 and all of 1948.

Glad to see the magazine is in good shape nowadays after uncertain times a few years ago. Here's to another 80 years hopefully. 

GOLGO13 ... who does your dusting?

bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics