•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexus DSC Pro and using Sky Safari

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern USA

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:10 PM

The Nexus DSC Pro has a database which the manual shows hooking up an iPad or iPhone to enable Sky Safari. Is the Nexus database limited compared to Sky Safari and what are the advantages/disadvantages in doing so.

#2 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:03 PM

Moving to Mounts.

smp

#3 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 September 2021 - 05:41 PM

In my experience, the catalogs in Nexus are more comprehensive than those in SkySafari - it happened a number of times that an object in an observing list uploaded to both Nexus and SkySafari was only recognized by Nexus. So if you add the same list to both, chances are the list in SkySafari will appear shorter (the unrecognized objects being hidden from the list).

The list of catalogs in Nexus are published (see here) whereas those in SkySafari are not, at least not as an explicit list like for the Nexus.

BTW, the SkySafari observing list format, which unfortunately has become a de-facto standard, has a fundamental design flaw: it only recognizes objects it already knows in its catalogs. You cannot add just an RA/Dec position. So for obscure objects there is a chance neither Nexus nor SS recognizes them, but the chance is lower for Nexus, at least in my experience. 

If you have a list in the SS format (.skylist), it's best perhaps to import it in both SS and Nexus. Given that SS shows an atlas view, you can display all objects in a list at the same time. I prepare my list externally (in SkyTools) so it's pre-sorted in the optimum order for observing, but if it's not, than seeing the objects in the atlas is convenient, once you're in an area of the sky, you can visit close objects with minimum slewing.

For observing very faint objects when dark adaptation is critical, you get less light exposure with Nexus than the entire screen of a tablet.

• StarTrooper likes this

#4 nva

nva

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:05 PM

In my experience, the catalogs in Nexus are more comprehensive than those in SkySafari - it happened a number of times that an object in an observing list uploaded to both Nexus and SkySafari was only recognized by Nexus. So if you add the same list to both, chances are the list in SkySafari will appear shorter (the unrecognized objects being hidden from the list).

The list of catalogs in Nexus are published (see here) whereas those in SkySafari are not, at least not as an explicit list like for the Nexus.

BTW, the SkySafari observing list format, which unfortunately has become a de-facto standard, has a fundamental design flaw: it only recognizes objects it already knows in its catalogs. You cannot add just an RA/Dec position. So for obscure objects there is a chance neither Nexus nor SS recognizes them, but the chance is lower for Nexus, at least in my experience.

If you have a list in the SS format (.skylist), it's best perhaps to import it in both SS and Nexus. Given that SS shows an atlas view, you can display all objects in a list at the same time. I prepare my list externally (in SkyTools) so it's pre-sorted in the optimum order for observing, but if it's not, than seeing the objects in the atlas is convenient, once you're in an area of the sky, you can visit close objects with minimum slewing.

For observing very faint objects when dark adaptation is critical, you get less light exposure with Nexus than the entire screen of a tablet.

Use a device with an oled screen and skysafari pro (with dlc) has over 100 million objects available...what version are you using?

Edited by nva, 21 September 2021 - 10:06 PM.

#5 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:12 PM

SS Pro 6. It's not the number of objects itself, but which objects. SS has a gazillion stars and very faint galaxies well beyond what I can observe but was missing some open clusters from less commonly used catalogs. I don't recall now which ones, just that the list I had planned got shorter when I imported it in SS. You can work around it by choosing a star nearby, but it's impractical as the list will show that star, without any hint about the true object sought.

One winter day when it's snowing outside I'll do a pass through the Nexus catalogs and compare them with SS by searching a few objects from each catalog. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics