•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SharpCap rejecting lots of subs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 audioengr

audioengr

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:28 PM

Last night I captured some Jupiter videos and I set my 178 camera to lowest res so that I could get 30 frames per second or more for a 2 minute capture.  I wanted several thousand frames in 2 minutes.  The camera is connected with a known good USB3 cable.

SharpCap starts out doing 31 frames per second and then after about 10 seconds it drops to around 12 frames per second, rejecting more than 50% of the frames.  It was a really good night and the image was not moving and very little atmospherics.  Nice clear bands on Jupiter.

Why is it doing this? Is there a setting I'm not seeing that stops this rejection from happening?  Is there too much background activity on my computer?

Thanks

Edited by audioengr, 21 September 2021 - 12:30 PM.

#2 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Trinidad

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:51 PM

is it happening in firecapture?

#3 Mark Lovik

Mark Lovik

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:19 PM

Sounds like buffering and a slower connection, could even be on the computer side - are you connecting to a USB2 computer port?  I have a color and monochrome versions of this camera and can stream full res at good frame rates without any drop-off in speed.

I use now use ROI because it takes no time at all to generate 20G in a stream -- sigh. 

Edited by Mark Lovik, 21 September 2021 - 01:20 PM.

#4 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:27 PM

I see something similar on & off. In my case it seems to be tied to a cluttered USB bus and background tasks. To clean up the USB bus I minimize the number of USB devices connected. To reduce background tasks I’ll shut down my computer and execute a cold boot before I start imaging. I also reduce the region of interest to minimize the frame size. This all seems to help.

#5 audioengr

audioengr

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:37 PM

I tried again another night after rebooting the laptop and stopping all other apps.  It seemed to improve a bit, but still came down from 30 fps or 60 fps to 12 fps after about 30-45 seconds of captures.  I even unplugged the USB mouse - no effect.

Maybe I should try a different USB port?  I have two of them on this particular laptop.  I could also get an adapter and use the "C" port.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics