•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Connecting ZWO ASI1600GT to SCT 9.25"

Astrophotography CCD Celestron Equipment Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 verityfalls

verityfalls

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:59 PM

Hello everyone! I am a science teacher working on getting a CCD setup up and running for an Astronomy class I am teaching. I have a lot of experience in CCD imaging, but only with stationary scopes; this is my first foray into mobile mounts and setups. I have an AVX with a 9.25' SCT, and I am trying to attach my ZWO ASI1600GT.

The current solution I found (several stacked adapters) is too long for the CCD's optimal focal length (which is 55mm). I'm considering this piece (https://www.celestro...pes#description) which has the proper thread sizes for both sides but seems long. 

Anyone have insight on attaching the CCD to the scope?

#2 Woody218

Woody218

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bismarck, ND

Posted 21 September 2021 - 02:38 PM

If you're not using the f/6.3 reducer, that Celestron adapter will work just fine, as there is no specific backfocus on the non-Edge telescopes.  If you are using the f/6.3 reducer, the backfocus from the end of the reducer to the camera's ccd chip is 105mm.

• verityfalls likes this

#3 skaiser

skaiser

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 21 September 2021 - 04:48 PM

Yes.

if you are attaching directly to back of scope with camera , you don’t have to worry about back focus distance.

just attach camera and adjust for focus.

to help with fine tune focus, you might look at adding a handle to the focuser knob.

some of us have 3D printed a arm that fits over focus knob, and gives you a handle that extends out .it does help,

You might also consider astrophotography software like “astrophotography tool” ( APT) or sharpcap.

( both have free versions)

Fell free to ask any other questions.

take care

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CCD, Celestron, Equipment, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics