•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Temperature Compensation for a Meade 12" LX850 f/8 ACF

Meade SCT
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lmclouth

lmclouth

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Davison, MI

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:54 PM

Hello,

I'm getting a Rigel Systems nSTEP autofocuser for my Meade 12" LX850 f/8 ACF OTA.

Does anyone know the temperature coefficient or how far to move for 1 degree C of temperature change?

Thanks,

Lamar

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 21 September 2021 - 06:32 PM

You should ask this in the equipment forum for probably the best answer.  Search in that forum for NStep related threads and you'll probably find several discussions over the years. 

I believe it is going to depend on the focal length and how you use the NStep itself and likely will be a trial and error over a few sessions to see the effect of differing increments.  

#3 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:23 PM

It is really something one has to figure out by experiment.  

#4 AF7JQ

AF7JQ

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concho Valley, Arizona 6500Ft ASL

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:44 PM

My LX600 12" (same OTA as LX850) with the Optec Direct Sync ACF focuser seems to like 144 steps per degree C drop. The stepper motor moves 1.1micron per step. The OTA changes focus a lot as the temps fall during an imaging session. Before getting the focuser I would have to refocus about every 15-20 minutes.

#5 AF7JQ

AF7JQ

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concho Valley, Arizona 6500Ft ASL

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:55 PM

Also, I just looked at the focuser you mentioned...looks to be a huge amount of back focus space taken up. You might try to see if anyone else has used that focuser with a LX850 F/8 OTA. F/8 OTA's don't have near the same amount of back focus space as an F/10 OTA of the same size.The Optec Direct Sync Focuser mounts to the focus knob and is not in the optical path. F/8 OTA's have very little mirror flop compared to other F/10 scopes so putting the focuser on the knob instead of the optical path works great!

#6 lmclouth

lmclouth

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:08 PM

Also, I just looked at the focuser you mentioned...looks to be a huge amount of back focus space taken up. You might try to see if anyone else has used that focuser with a LX850 F/8 OTA. F/8 OTA's don't have near the same amount of back focus space as an F/10 OTA of the same size.The Optec Direct Sync Focuser mounts to the focus knob and is not in the optical path. F/8 OTA's have very little mirror flop compared to other F/10 scopes so putting the focuser on the knob instead of the optical path works great!

Yes, I was interested in the Optec DirectSync ACFX #19975 but the $595+ price tag was way too much.

The nSTEP attaches to the coarse focus knob, so it doesn't take up any back focus space.

#7 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:34 PM

I’m using an old JMI NGF-S focuser and do not have any trouble reaching focus even with a Barlow installed. My scope is the 12” f/8 ACF from Meade

#8 lmclouth

lmclouth

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 04:10 PM

It is really something one has to figure out by experiment.  

And how do you perform that experiment?

Do you have to see the current temperature and use a Bahtinov Mask to first make focus.  Then watch for the temperature to drop a certain amount (like 1 or 2 degrees C) and then put the OTA back into focus and remember the number of steps it took?

Or is there a better method?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics