•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need advice about attaching a Celestron OAF to a Williams Optic Red Cat 51

Celestron Accessories Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Halfstar

Halfstar

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pipe Creek Texas

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:56 PM

I am trying to figure out how to attach a Celestron Off Axis guider to a new Williams Optic Red Cat LX 51,

I have tried every adapter I have and it seems nothing fits the Red Cat,

I am trying to set up my back focus on my Zwo 294 camera, with the Celestron OAF,  and following the ZWO manual instructions which are for the ZWO cameras and it only describes the  ZWO OAFi  it does not seem like enough back focus at 55mm.

Celestron manual doesn't really cover the back focus when you mix brands, so I am wondering if the Celestron and ZWO are not compatible,

has anyone successfully attached the Celestron OAF with the RED CAT 51 or will I now have to buy a ZWO OAF?

Some one please help me, once again dear sweet hubby offering to hook it up to his jeep and drag it down the road to end my frustration with my telescope hobby.

Red Cat 51 LX Upgrade

Celestron Off Axis guider

Zwo 294

Zwo 190

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:19 PM

I am trying to figure out how to attach a Celestron Off Axis guider to a new Williams Optic Red Cat LX 51,

I have tried every adapter I have and it seems nothing fits the Red Cat,

I am trying to set up my back focus on my Zwo 294 camera, with the Celestron OAF,  and following the ZWO manual instructions which are for the ZWO cameras and it only describes the  ZWO OAFi  it does not seem like enough back focus at 55mm.

Celestron manual doesn't really cover the back focus when you mix brands, so I am wondering if the Celestron and ZWO are not compatible,

has anyone successfully attached the Celestron OAF with the RED CAT 51 or will I now have to buy a ZWO OAF?

Some one please help me, once again dear sweet hubby offering to hook it up to his jeep and drag it down the road to end my frustration with my telescope hobby.

Red Cat 51 LX Upgrade

Celestron Off Axis guider

Zwo 294

Zwo 190

Hello,  The Redcat should have M48 threads either male or female, I do not have one I do not know.  Your Celestron off axis guider should have an adapter to fit the M48 Redcat threads.  All you need to do is connect the camera to the guider with either a M48 to M42 or T2 adapter, you may already have this if it came with the OAG,  or maybe you have M42  threads already on the back of the OAG.    Not sure, how the spacing is done - before  or after the OAG.   I'm kind of new to this too.   Hope this helps,   Joe

The OAG should have had this with it.

Celestron's Off-Axis Guider addresses these challenges by:

Providing a large 12.5 mm prism that can be adjusted to move closer to the center of the telescope‚Äôs focal plane, depending on the size of the imaging camera. This results in brighter guide stars, with the help of the large prism to fully illuminate the autoguider sensor.
    Featuring a high-quality, fixed-orientation Helical focuser. This provides extremely smooth and accurate focus of the autoguider without changing (or twisting) the autoguider camera orientation.
    Including all the needed spacers and adapters are included for most common imaging configurations, including DSLR cameras, Nightscape CCD cameras, and more. The following adapters are included: SCT/EdgeHD, female M48, female M42 (T-thread), male M48, male M42 (T-thread), 3 T-thread spacers

#3 Todd N

Todd N

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:05 PM

Stop it with this nonsense of trying to mate OAGs with really small scopes. Make life easier, just use another small scope or camera lens. If the Redcat has a field flattener then you won't be able to since this will screw up the precise spacing from the FF to camera and you will likely not be able to come to focus anyways.

#4 ccvle

ccvle

Mariner 2

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:59 PM

Above comment is correct. You won't be able to focus. I have a Celestron oag (for my edge) tried on my redcat.
  • Halfstar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Accessories, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics