•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My New SCT

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Celestro21

Celestro21

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

I'm am excited that I was able to find this at a local astronomy shop. I had a fast reflector at f3.9 and a StellarVue refractor that also has a wide field of view for photography. I asked myself why I needed two scopes with wide fields of view. Anyway I picked up this pretty modified Celestron SCT 11in with StarBright XLT coatings for 1000 bucks. I took it over to my astronomy professor and he said that collimation looked very good. The previous owner had added two fans, a Baadar two inch eyepiece holder, and he added felt to the inside of the scope. guess they call it flocking? We tested it out and took two great pictures of Jupiter and Saturn. I was taken away with the views this telescope gave me. I felt like I could pull the planets right from the scope and hold them in my hands, that's how detailed they were. It wasn't just a dot like I've seen on my reflector. My SCT is sitting on my CGX mount. Both my astronomy professor and his friend who have done astronomy all their lives and work with CGX mounts said that the three weights wont hurt it. Anyway, looking to have many nights with it.  I hope it holds up for a long time, knowing that it was modified like this. I was told that modified equipment usually doesn't get a lot of love, so I'll see if I made good with this big boy.

As I get older I learn from my astronomy mistakes and now with this new mistake buying and F3.9 scope, I can pass that knowledge on to someone else. Learning is fun. 

As always clear skies

Attached Thumbnails

• 242211670_2033519910129165_6841080500267068642_n.jpg
  • 242430504_2033519856795837_8565001683592130538_n.jpg

• Scott Beith, Illinois, RAKing and 14 others like this

#2 Tangent

Tangent

Vostok 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:45 PM

Wow, that's one hell of a score, congrats!  Where are the fans mounted?

• Borodog and Celestro21 like this

#3 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

• Loc: Texas

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:10 PM

Heck of a gizmo you got there.

If I had one of those, and was able to make such a deal, I might advertise it as a workout routine and see if I could get someone to pay to come and set it up. You could maybe add a tractor tire to push around after.

Edited by Echolight, 21 September 2021 - 09:13 PM.

#4 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:11 PM

It looks like you got a great deal!

Isn’t that CGX sitting on a CGX-L tripod?

I adapted a CGE-Pro tripod, basically the same tripod as yours, to my CGX and it really helped with stability.

Edited by Jeffmar, 21 September 2021 - 09:12 PM.

• Castor likes this

#5 Celestro21

Celestro21

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:46 AM

Wow, that's one hell of a score, congrats! Where are the fans mounted?

I'm not sure. I just know there are setting to have it go fast or slow

#6 Celestro21

Celestro21

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:47 AM

Heck of a gizmo you got there.

If I had one of those, and was able to make such a deal, I might advertise it as a workout routine and see if I could get someone to pay to come and set it up. You could maybe add a tractor tire to push around after.

I bought the cgx mount in 2017 but the celestron sct I picked up on monday. I just hope I'm not overloading that mount

#7 Celestro21

Celestro21

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:50 AM

It looks like you got a great deal!

Isn’t that CGX sitting on a CGX-L tripod?

I adapted a CGE-Pro tripod, basically the same tripod as yours, to my CGX and it really helped with stability.

Yes back in 2017 when I purchased the cgx mount I later switched out the legal for the cgx-L. The store gave me the tripod for 200 bucks because they were just sitting there. The scope technician made the holes on the cgx a little wider. My entire scope is a mix and match set up
  • Castor likes this

#8 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:15 AM

Wow, that's one hell of a score, congrats!  Where are the fans mounted?

If you look close at the photo, it looks like there are 2 vent holes on either side of the focuser. I presume the fans are mounted internally.

You will soon understand why the owner added fans to a C11. If they work correctly, they will really help shorten acclimation time. If you can use the fans while observing, they will also help keep heat plumes from reforming, which is important especially for high power observing. 

If it all checks out, you got a nice deal. Good luck.

Bob

• Castor and Tangent like this

#9 Peter_D

Peter_D

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Troisdorf, Germany

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:33 AM

Really nice.

For me, a modified scope sends out good signals: it shows that the previous owner was happy with the optics and was trying to squeeze that extra percentage or two out of the scope. If it were a lemon, they probably wouldn't have spent so much time and money on upgrading it.
  • Castor likes this

#10 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:18 AM

Congrats. The fact that you've had it checked out by an experienced individual is great. Sounds like you have landed a good deal.

• Castor likes this

#11 TomK1

TomK1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:19 PM

I believe the top photo shows the two fans on the rear exterior on either side of the diagonal opening.  Similar to what the following individual did to his C11: http://www.darkatmos...ject/#Section_1.  

You may want to wrap your unit in reflective aluminum bubble wrap ( not sure if you use one side or two sided aluminum), create a dew shield with same material  and buy a dew heater.   A friend has a C11 with those add ons ( minus the two fans) and his scope shows wonderful views.

What a bargain find!    

• Castor, Bean614 and Tangent like this

#12 delgado39

delgado39

Ranger 4

• Loc: Glen Ellen, California

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:37 PM

This statement says it all, “I was taken away with the views this telescope gave me.”  No more to be said if it’s delivering the goods .  Nothing wrong if the modifications are done right.  I have a 9.25 XLT that is pretty good.  Generally takes a while to acclimate to the weather so fans do help.  Mine does well at 250x and if the weather is just right, up to 390x. A bit more magnification and the edges get soft.  You got a bargain so enjoy.  Your CGX should handle the weight easily.

• Castor likes this

#13 Lighthound

Lighthound

Vostok 1

• Loc: Upper Ohio River Valley

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:06 PM

If you look close at the photo, it looks like there are 2 vent holes on either side of the focuser. I presume the fans are mounted internally.

Bob

If you look closely, the fans are

externally mounted.

• Castor likes this

#14 Celestro21

Celestro21

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:30 PM

Wow, that's one hell of a score, congrats! Where are the fans mounted?

I guess they are inside. I did not modify this scope

#15 Celestro21

Celestro21

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:31 PM

Really nice.

For me, a modified scope sends out good signals: it shows that the previous owner was happy with the optics and was trying to squeeze that extra percentage or two out of the scope. If it were a lemon, they probably wouldn't have spent so much time and money on upgrading it.

Hopefully it all works out. I really love the views and they sold it to me cheap because sometimes people shy away from modified stuff
  • Castor likes this

#16 Celestro21

Celestro21

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:33 PM

This statement says it all, “I was taken away with the views this telescope gave me.” No more to be said if it’s delivering the goods . Nothing wrong if the modifications are done right. I have a 9.25 XLT that is pretty good. Generally takes a while to acclimate to the weather so fans do help. Mine does well at 250x and if the weather is just right, up to 390x. A bit more magnification and the edges get soft. You got a bargain so enjoy. Your CGX should handle the weight easily.

I honestly felt like a person who never looked through a scope before when i have all my life. The bands on Jupiter just popped. I felt like I could pull the planet from the eyepiece
  • Castor likes this

#17 Lighthound

Lighthound

Vostok 1

• Loc: Upper Ohio River Valley

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:40 PM

003a.jpg

These look external to me.

• Castor likes this

#18 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:25 PM

Very nice setup, indeed! The C11's have had a pretty good reputation for having decent optics and providing good images. You were wise to get a very robust mount and tripod, that is one mistake that many amateurs make is under-mounting their OTA. A number of years ago when I still had it, I tried out my 21mm Ethos on a friends C11 at a fairly dark site on a really good night. We were both blown away with how well the two complemented each other. The bright views that the C11 provided plus the expansive wide-apparent field that the 21mm Ethos was like being on a spacecraft and looking thru a window the size of a sliding glass door.

You definitely bagged yourself a good one and I wish you many enjoyable observing sessions. 

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Castor likes this

#19 Celestro21

Celestro21

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:29 PM

Very nice setup, indeed! The C11's have had a pretty good reputation for having decent optics and providing good images. You were wise to get a very robust mount and tripod, that is one mistake that many amateurs make is under-mounting their OTA. A number of years ago when I still had it, I tried out my 21mm Ethos on a friends C11 at a fairly dark site on a really good night. We were both blown away with how well the two complemented each other. The bright views that the C11 provided plus the expansive wide-apparent field that the 21mm Ethos was like being on a spacecraft and looking thru a window the size of a sliding glass door.

You definitely bagged yourself a good one and I wish you many enjoyable observing sessions.

Clear skies and keep looking up!
RalphMeisterTigerMan

I told myself when I was young like 15 ot so, that one day I would get a "go to mount" hard work had paid off and I got the cgx mount. It had issues in the beginning that I needed to send it back to celestron. It was known as a "run away mount" it was frustrating, but once I got it back it worked like beauty. Now just waiting for the black forest star party up in cherry springs. Hoping for clear skies
  • Castor likes this

#20 orion999

orion999

Lift Off

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:44 PM

Not sure, but looks like you may also have gotten the Feather Touch Micro focuser upgrade as well. If so, that’s a $200-$300 value. Awesome deal!
  • Castor likes this

#21 Celestro21

Celestro21

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 10:36 AM

Not sure, but looks like you may also have gotten the Feather Touch Micro focuser upgrade as well. If so, that’s a $200-$300 value. Awesome deal!

Yes it has a feather touch knob and the inside of the scope has felt lining the tube

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics