•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Final result from an M 31 project that just kind of happened.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Professor2112

Professor2112

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:42 PM

Hey everyone, hope all is well. 

This image is from a project that I started working on just because M 31 was high enough in the sky to image while I waited for M 33 to “rise to the occasion”.  After enough nights of imaging M 31 while I waited for my main target to rise, I managed almost 8hrs on the thing in LRGB, an hour of that being from a bortle 2 dark site (thanks Ron!).  The rest was from my parents home which is a bortle 4.  Well, since I was liking what I already had, I thought it would be cool to add some H-alpha the other night during the almost full moon from my bortle 8 home to make this an HaLRGB image.  I have to say, it definitely came out better than I thought it would.  Ironically, this marks the most integration time I have into a project so far at just over 11hrs.   I figured I’d share it with all of you even though everyone’s seen this target almost as much as Orion.  Acquisition details on astrobin. 

get.jpg?insecure

• PrestonE, Jim Waters, elmiko and 8 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:54 PM

This is a fine example of M31 indeed, awesome job!

• Professor2112 likes this

#3 fallenstarseven

fallenstarseven

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA, USA

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:18 PM

That is a real beauty, thanks for sharing.

• Professor2112 likes this

#4 Professor2112

Professor2112

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:53 AM

Thanks guys!  I’m going to give a couple different processing techniques a try in order to keep the LRGB color and only enhance the strong H-alpha regions.  The image has definitely taken on more of a red tone compared to without the Ha data. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics