•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

autoguiding 7" makustov cassegrain

Astrophotography DSLR Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 copypasteearth

copypasteearth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:39 PM

Hello all:

I have a Celestron 7" Makustov Cassegrain telescope and I'd like to try to buy a setup to do some autoguiding for long exposures using a cannon 60d camera.  I dont know if the Celestron Deluxe OAG will fit with the scope.  I already have the adapter for the camera to fit it to the 2" connector on the scope where the star diagonal hooks up.  I just want to make sure about this equipment before I shell out the cash to buy it all.  If you could guide me on a basic setup.  I was thinking the Celestron Delux OAG, or if you know of a less expensive option, and a good compatible guide camera for the OAG if you could reccomend one.  And also im thinking about using PHD2 for it also. I have an advanced VX mount so im not sure of all the compatibilities.  If anyone has set up the Celestron 7" Makustov Cassegrain with an AOG, autoguided for long exposures, please tell me your setup.

Thank you for your time.

#2 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:28 PM

I'm considering a similar setup:

https://www.cloudyni...c90-guidescope/

If you need to do on-axis guiding (such as for planetary, Lunar, or Solar imaging), you need to use a guidescope instead of an off-axis guider.

The OAG reduces the payload weight, but limits the applications as compared to a guidescope.

#3 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:59 AM

The requirements for deep-sky off-axis autoguiding and Solar/Lunar/planetary autoguiding are different.

Any suggestions on what would be the best guidescope for a 2700/180 MCT for Solar, Lunar, and planetary autoguiding?

I was thinking something like a 1250/90 MCT but not sure if that would work on an AVX.  Would a small refractor have to be Barlowed for Solar/Lunar/planetary autoguiding?

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 22 September 2021 - 10:23 AM.

#4 copypasteearth

copypasteearth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:01 AM

I'm trying to do deep sky stuff like clusters and nebula

#5 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:16 AM

I used a 3.5 Meade Maksutov on my C 14 before.     Just a few questions,  what DSO are you planning to image with the Mak??    Do you have a large sensor camera???  Or a focal reducer???    F15 is kind of tough to image with, I thought.

I have a 7" Mak and a QHY 462 camera that I do planetary with.   Thanks,  Joe  

• copypasteearth likes this

#6 copypasteearth

copypasteearth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

There are a bunch of nebula I can see like the crab, and ring nebula. I did the ring nebula the other night but I can only do repeated 30s exposures on my cannon 60d. I'm trying to figure out the best OAG setup.
  • Nicole Sharp likes this

#7 copypasteearth

copypasteearth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

There are a bunch of nebula I can see like the crab, and ring nebula. I did the ring nebula the other night but I can only do repeated 30s exposures on my cannon 60d. I'm trying to figure out the best OAG setup.

#8 copypasteearth

copypasteearth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:22 AM

I plan to get a focal reducer also

#9 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:25 AM

I used a 3.5 Meade Maksutov on my C 14 before.     Just a few questions,  what DSO are you planning to image with the Mak??    Do you have a large sensor camera???  Or a focal reducer???    F15 is kind of tough to image with, I thought.

I have a 7" Mak and a QHY 462 camera that I do planetary with.   Thanks,  Joe  

Exposure times should need to be about twice as long at f/15 versus f/10.  The bigger problem is the long focal length which will amplify any small vibrations or errors in tracking.  This is made worse by the large moment of inertia of the MC180 on the AVX.

#10 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:26 AM

A 30-second unguided exposure with an MC180 on an AVX sounds impressive!!

That gives me hope.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 22 September 2021 - 10:26 AM.

#11 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:28 AM

I plan to get a focal reducer also

I don't think a focal reducer will work with a DSLR camera on an MCT.  You may need to use an astrowebcam instead.

#12 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:36 AM

I do not know for sure, but the Celestron OAG comes with a bunch of adapters.   If you have 2" threads they are either 2 x 24 or M48.  @ x 24 is a standard SCT thread I think.    You will need to do your homework on adapters and spacing.  Payload may become an issue.  

Personally,  I use a short tube refractor, 92 F6 or 76 F6, for DSO imaging with a ZWO 178 mono camera for now,  Sharpcap Live Stack,   have not guided yet but plan to.    With two refractors,  weight is not an issue, focal lengths about equal, focus easy,  bright targets, all plus's about the only minus is for small stuff a barlow, or your Mak at native focal length.

Joe

#13 copypasteearth

copypasteearth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:39 PM

If I get a ZWO OAG and an Orion starshoot, will they work?

#14 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:19 PM

If I get a ZWO OAG and an Orion starshoot, will they work?

The Orion Starshoot is a noisy camera. Might not work with the OAG, I would get one of the ZWO mono guide cameras that ZWO recommends.

But to back up a little:  your Mak is VERY slow which is fine if used with planets, sun, and moon.  If you try and shoot DSOs you are going to have  bad time. Especially on that mount.

Word on the street is that an 80mm APO refractor is a much better scope to shoot DSOs with. Especially when learning. You will have success and fun with a little refractor. Not so much with the Mak and DSOs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, DSLR, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics