•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Helix redux

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 addos

addos

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:26 AM

still playing with l-extreme smile.gif

had 21 hrs of broadband data on the helix, added in 11hrs worth of red and blue channel from the l-extreme. also used the stars from the l-extreme data as they're a bit easier to deal with than osc stars.  pity though, cause you miss out on the little galaxy smudge just behind the right side of the 'eye' :)

decent amount of detail seemed to come out even at 1.25"/px scale smile.gif

nbrgbcomb22sep

Edited by addos, 22 September 2021 - 01:28 AM.

• mikewayne3, chrysalis, Thomas Marshall and 5 others like this

#2 tosjduenfs

tosjduenfs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:03 AM

Fantastic!  Any details on equipment used and processing?

#3 addos

addos

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:31 AM

Hey mate, there's some detail in the pic description, but the details are:

Heq5, evostar 100ed with reducer, 294mc, bortle 6

broadband captured using an lpro, 2 min subs at unity.  23 hrs in total, stacked in dss with it picking the best 90% at 2x drizz.

l-extreme data at 3 min subs at unity.  14.5 hrs total, stacked in dss with it picking best 80% at 2x drizz.

initial post processing in pix.  dbe, background neutral, noise reduction, arc / histogram stretch, starnet on both.  extract rgb chans from l-extreme data.  pixmath g and b together, re stretch.  nbrgb script to blend osc and l-extreme data adding red and recombined 'oiii' chan on green and blue at 1x scale.  pixmath l-extreme stars back in.

finishing in photoshop.  high pass sharpen.  ACR contrast, shadow, black adjustments.  extra sharpen, tweak vibrance and saturation.  small curve stretch red and blue channels to my liking.

i posted this one cause i like that i can almost see that 'depth' in the object you get when you get closer to optimal contrast; but after playing with the l-extreme and finding the formula for some very smart person's 'dynamic' rgb recombination method, i much prefer the colour pallete you get from that.  example below with the 11hrs used above.  just not the same level of detail, i thought.  going to have plenty of opportunities over the next few weeks to get more data on it, cause the roof of my house means milky way core sets at 9pm here at the moment, and the only other nebula i can point this filter at before orion or the lmc move into view at about 1am is the helix :p

dynrgbps

all that being said, i do wish i had the deniros for an sct right now.  this thing's resolution would come up an absolute treat with an edge 8.

• mikewayne3 and tosjduenfs like this

#4 Juno18

Juno18

Messenger

• Loc: Long Beach, Mississippi, USA

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:03 AM

Gorgeous image addos!

The capture, coloration, and processing are sweet!

Thanks for the processing details. 

I probably haven’t had 23 hours of clear skies so far this year, but I am glad that you have!

Very nice work!

• addos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics