•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Considering an upgrade

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:00 AM

I'm a bit of a binocular novice, I've only ever owned one pair which is a TS 10x50 WP (clone of the Nikon) so they're fairly cheap but appear to be fairly good. I've enjoyed using them under dark skies, wonderful for viewing the Large Magellanic Cloud while imaging at my dark site.

Given the never ending COVID lockdown in Melbourne, Australia I don't think I'll get a chance to look through anything in the foreseeable future. I have read of the stark increase in optical quality moving from cheaper to premium binoculars but I have never had the pleasure of experiencing it myself.

I have been considering upgrading to something like a 7x42 but I don't have any real criteria at the moment. Not heavier or bulkier than my current 10x50s but that's probably not difficult! Most of what I have been using binos for has been astro but I wouldn't mind a more general purpose but still general purpose. I had been considering Canon 10x42 L IS as I've real a lot of positive reviews but I think I'll keep away from IS.

I figured this would be the best place to come for some thought and suggestions.

#2 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:08 AM

Just curious why you would stay away from IS? I was always skeptical...until I used a pair, but I still enjoy the lightweight and compact nature of a small pair of binoculars like my Leica 8x32 trinovids. 

#3 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, JP

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:12 AM

I am not sure why you've decided to stay away from IS binoculars.

My only regret about my binocular purchases is that I held off on buying IS binoculars for far too long.  After getting a Canon 15x50 IS, it quickly became my most-used binocular, forcing all my other binoculars, all nice to excellent in their own rights and much more expensive, take a backseat.  In fact, if I were to start over, I would start with the Canon 10x42 L IS.

• ArsMachina likes this

#4 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:37 AM

I suppose I was thinking of keeping away from an added bit of technology that could break down or requiring power but I certainly get where you're both coming from. I have heard nothing but great reviews about the 10x42L in particular.

#5 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:23 AM

People don't avoid computers just because they could break down.  In fact, computers do break down, both on the software side and hardware side, far more often than IS binoculars.

Just saying!

Edited by MT4, 22 September 2021 - 06:24 AM.

• gwd and Stevenkelby like this

#6 gwd

gwd

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PyeongTaek ROK

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:54 AM

People don't avoid computers just because they could break down.  In fact, computers do break down, both on the software side and hardware side, far more often than IS binoculars.

Just saying!

Now that you say this I have to say that my first gen canon IS binoculars have outlasted 5 or 6 or more computers and I use them frequently.   I also feel that each new bit of technology is just one more failure point and nuisance.   I also don’t like batteries and have had my non electric 20x60s longer than the canons. They also still work well.  I got them back when they were 2/3 the price they are now.    The canon 10x42 IS should be light enough to pack.    If I lost all my binoculars I’d start the replacement process with the canon 15x50 IS.  

#7 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:27 AM

I suppose I was thinking of keeping away from an added bit of technology that could break down or requiring power but I certainly get where you're both coming from. I have heard nothing but great reviews about the 10x42L in particular.

It's weird, but I feel I can hold hold my Canon 10x42s (without IS engaged) just as steadily as my smaller binoculars, so even if the IS did fail, I know I'd be left with an astonishingly good, albeit very very ugly, pair of standard binoculars. 

However, I also wanted something old-school hence my Trinovids. I did have a pair of Noctivids but then the tax man came calling and they had to go, but the Trinovids are, to my eyes, just as good. 

I get where you're coming from with the IS models, but see if you can try a pair. 

#8 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:33 AM

I have been considering upgrading to something like a 7x42 but I don't have any real criteria at the moment. Not heavier or bulkier than my current 10x50s but that's probably not difficult! Most of what I have been using binos for has been astro but I wouldn't mind a more general purpose but still general purpose.

Here's a pearl of wisdom I picked up right here on CN sometime early this year:   "Everybody needs a good 7x."

Having owned a Nikon EDGE 7x42 for about 8 months now, I can readily see the appeal of a good-quality 7x.  It's much easier to hand-hold a 7x compared to an 8x, let alone a 10x.  When I bought my Nikon Ell 8x30 late last year I thought wow I could handhold it practically rock-steady.   Then I bought my Nikon EDGE 7x42 and the word rock-steady just took on a different meaning.  It's literally a different level of steadiness.  Every time I pick up my Nikon EDGE 7x42, the steadiness of the view somehow makes me slow down and just take in the view.   It's an indescribable feeling.  Of course, the fact that it's stunningly sharp from edge to edge (hence the word EDGE in the name) doesn't hurt.

So if you're ready to experience good-quality optics and you're interested in the 7x42 configuration, go ahead and get a good-quality 7x42.  You won't regret it.

• Erik Bakker likes this

#9 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:04 AM

I am not sure how a 7x42 would be an upgrade to a 10x50. It would be complementary. The looks are different. But maybe also consider the Kowa 6.5x32 for its wide field?

• j.gardavsky likes this

#10 Cestus

Cestus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:04 AM

I can recommend the 7x45 Maven's. The optics are simply excellent and the weight helps steady them. I echo also the above sentiment on the Kowa 6.5x32.

Edited by Cestus, 22 September 2021 - 10:05 AM.

• ECP M42 likes this

#11 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:21 AM

I'm also a big fan of the Canon 10x42L IS. 

While 6x or 7x have steadier views hand held than traditional 10x binos, I've found 10x is the point where night time views of the stars begin to "pop" and fainter stars appear than you'll see with lower mag binos.

The 10x42L is heavier than a traditional 10x42 but you'll never find a 10x bino that shows more fine detail, night or day, when hand held.  It quickly became my favorite 10x bino with it's wide 6.6° FOV that is sharp to the edge and very well corrected for chromatic aberration on bright objects with ED glass elements.  I clearly see more stars with the IS than I can with my other 10x binos.

Perhaps you owe yourself a chance to try one if possible and see if you think the additional detail it shows is worth it to you. Finally getting a chance to try one was all I needed.  A friend got one, I tried it, and couldn't believe just how good the views were and I was sold.  

Rich

• ihf and MT4 like this

#12 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:34 AM

my wife could only see streaks in any of my 10x binos so she bought a pair of 10x42IS Canons.  they're an excellent bino without the IS, but when you push that button down, they simply become outstanding.  it took me a bit to get used to the ergonomics but now that I have, they are comfortable and an amazing piece of kit.  they're the only bino my wife will use now so I'm looking at the 15x50IS.   Christmas is coming... 

Don't shy away because of the technology, it's proven.

• Rich V. and ihf like this

#13 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:09 PM

When showrooms (retail business) open again I’ll have a chance to be able to do some testing. There is a part of me that would like to go a “lower quality” Zeiss just to match my other Zeiss stuff haha
Zeiss Conquest maybe?
Definitely give some of the Canon IS a go too.
  • j.gardavsky likes this

#14 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:53 AM

As the thread took a one-way street on the Canon 10x42, I post some scattered reasoning: 

- If the TS 10x50 weighs ~ 900g or 32oz, the Canon 10x42 weighs 40% more (~ 1260g or 45oz). 

Here, a mechanical stabilization system, such as a mini-monopod, can easily fall into the weight difference and "balance the scores".

- The TS 10x50 provides 40% more pupillary surface (50^2 / 42^2). And although the higher transmittance of the Canon can compensate for the pupil difference (at least with regard to the contrast of the observations), this positive comparison is not always useful for all the various observations. 

- The price of the Canon is about 8-10 times that of the TS. 

The price difference can easily include an extensive range of choice of excellent binoculars. 

- According to various tests (here one in pdf), the IS binoculars could improve the detail by 20-30% and equal the comparison here, like 12x50 ÷ 13x55. But for the stars this comparison is not directly feasible and a lot changes according to the observed objects.

Certainly, I would prefer to have a APM 12x50 ED instead of the Canon 10x42L, despite the heavier weight.

about the 7x42 ... 

https://www.binomani...ng-in-the-rain/

http://www.scopeview...Leica7x42HD.htm

http://www.greatestb...emier7x42s.html

https://www.binomani...topic.php?t=683

http://www.scopeview...ctory7X42FL.htm

https://www.birdforu...ry-7x42.367522/

http://scopeviews.co...s7x42Dialyt.htm

But you might also be interested in some 7x35 and 7x50 ... waytogo.gif

http://scopeviews.co...rinovid7x35.htm

http://scopeviews.co...7x50FMTR-SX.htm

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Meopta7x50.htm

Henry

Edited by ECP M42, 23 September 2021 - 11:56 AM.

#15 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:54 PM

The Canon 10x42 L IS weighs in at around 1100g, not 1260g.  (My Canon 15x50 IS weighs about 1200g.)

Price wise, in Japan I can get a new Canon 10x42 L IS for about 1300 dollars, taxes and shipping included.  For this price, you get alpha-level optics and the IS tech that no alpha binoculars on the market have.  In Japan, alpha 10x binos of the German variety sell for between 2.5k and 4k USD.  (Personally, if not for the fact that I already have way too many nice 10x binoculars, getting a Canon 10x42 L IS would be a no brainer.)

If there are a lot of suggestions to check out Canon IS binos, it’s because there's a good reason for it.  Nobody here is trying to sell Canon binos to anybody.

Edited by MT4, 23 September 2021 - 07:31 PM.

• ihf and f18dad like this

#16 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 12:54 AM

Or I’m the only one not on the Canon payroll haha

Thanks for your thoughts and comments everyone, I’ll definitely check out the Canon when life opens up here.
  • MT4 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics