•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3D stereo Jupiter and Ganymede

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cometcatcher

cometcatcher

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mackay Australia

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:36 AM

Hopefully I got my left and right correct this time! 3D Stereo Jupiter, taken 4 minutes apart, from data from September 20. These are like magic eye 3D pictures to see, Just let your eyes relax and look to infinity, letting your eyes cross and merge the two images into one. You may have to adjust viewing size or distance. When you get it, Jupiter looks like a globe with the moon Ganymede floating in front of it. The effect is pretty cool. Good luck!

12" F5 Newtonian, SV305 from September 20.

Jupiter_202109_stereo.jpg

• Sunspot, Mike Phillips, Kenny V. and 15 others like this

#2 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:48 AM

Hopefully I got my left and right correct this time! 3D Stereo Jupiter, taken 4 minutes apart, from data from September 20. These are like magic eye 3D pictures to see, Just let your eyes relax and look to infinity, letting your eyes cross and merge the two images into one. You may have to adjust viewing size or distance. When you get it, Jupiter looks like a globe with the moon Ganymede floating in front of it. The effect is pretty cool. Good luck!

12" F5 Newtonian, SV305 from September 20.

Jupiter_202109_stereo.jpg

Great images both. But I can never perceive any 3D effect in posts such as these. I thought stereo could only be achieved with images taken from 2 different vantage points and I don't think that's possible if imaging other planets from this one.
Correct me if I'm wrong, someone.

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Soyuz

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:52 AM

I can only see these in cross-eyed formation, so I see the planet concave with the moon behind.

Kev, the 3D effect is simulated since the planet has rotated a little in between the two frames, so it appears like the position is different and your eyes perceive it in 3D. When you get it right :)

• Lacaille likes this

#4 cometcatcher

cometcatcher

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:17 AM

I can only see these in cross-eyed formation, so I see the planet concave with the moon behind.

Kev, the 3D effect is simulated since the planet has rotated a little in between the two frames, so it appears like the position is different and your eyes perceive it in 3D. When you get it right smile.gif

I'm short sighted so maybe it works best with such. I see it convex. I'm sure there's brain trickery involved. I did it with one of the shadows and the shadow was floating which isn't possible lol.

#5 cometcatcher

cometcatcher

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:19 AM

Great images both. But I can never perceive any 3D effect in posts such as these. I thought stereo could only be achieved with images taken from 2 different vantage points and I don't think that's possible if imaging other planets from this one.

I'm not sure. In one the observer moves, in the other the object moves... Either way, like I said to Tulloch there's brain trickery involved!

#6 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:46 AM

Yeah i can only do cross-eyed ones, I cant merge these. I bet its great though!

Could you post another version with the images swapped round?

Kev - it does work, when it works!

Edited by happylimpet, 22 September 2021 - 07:46 AM.

#7 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:11 AM

Looks fantastic to me, cc. Well done!

#8 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:22 AM

That's the way A-ha, A-ha, I like it A-ha, A-ha. That's the way, A-ha, I like it (K.C. and the Sunshine Band 1970's). But seriously, very cool.

Many of you Astro-imagers do some amazing work and are very gracious to share what can only be hours and hours of labour! Very nicely done. Thank-you for sharing.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• cometcatcher likes this

#9 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:22 AM

Looks great to me, too. It'd be even better if the image was larger, but it does work well as is. waytogo.gif

Edited by wrvond, 22 September 2021 - 08:23 AM.

#10 Ojaigsguy

Ojaigsguy

Sputnik

• Loc: Ojai, Ca

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:54 AM

Great image!  I see the 3D clearly.

#11 nighty

nighty

Viking 1

• Loc: 75w39n

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:12 AM

I see 3D. Really neat. Thank you

#12 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Falls Church, VA (Washington DC suburb)

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:54 PM

I think you are mistaken.  Rotating the planet between the two exposures gives the same look as two simultaneous exposures taken from cameras separated by an angle equal to the amount of rotation.

• happylimpet likes this

#13 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Falls Church, VA (Washington DC suburb)

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:00 PM

I'm short sighted so maybe it works best with such. I see it convex. I'm sure there's brain trickery involved. I did it with one of the shadows and the shadow was floating which isn't possible lol.

In this pair of photos the shadow of Ganymede is almost perfectly synchronized with the cloud tops, according to my calculations, so the depth perception will place it at the same elevation.  A fortuitous coincidence here.

For a bit of a nostalgia trip I did the calculations with a slide rule.

• happylimpet likes this

#14 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:06 PM

It sure worked for me. Jupiter is a nice round globe and Ganymede hangs out in front. Spectacular! well done.
Paul

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics