•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Controlling a PlaneWave L-300

Astrophotography Equipment Mount Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ispybadguys

ispybadguys

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Albuquerque,NM

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:01 AM

I am thinking that I would like to buy an L-300 for my CDK 12.5 as I think it is irresistibly cool. I currently use and iOptron CDM7EC mount that I drive my Sony DSLR, Mount, and Moonlite Nightcrawler with Kstars/INDI/EKOS which lets me plan, schedule, control a dome, point, focus, plate solve, rotate,and image . I am sure that if I get the L-300 that there is no INDI driver so I will have to give up all of this. What I am wanting to know is how do I accomplish these tasks using the L-300. Does anybody have one?

Thanks

Kurt

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:23 PM

Perhaps visit the PlaneWave website.  You can download the manual for their software (included with the mount) and see what functions it performs and which you'd have to have third-party software for.

• George N likes this

#3 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:44 PM

It's ASCOM compatible according to their web site, and have many examples that use Maxim DL, but specifically say that there are many options for overall control.

#4 ispybadguys

ispybadguys

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Albuquerque,NM

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:48 PM

I did get a ASCOM driver working for my Sony A7R4 so I don't need to runout immediately and buy a new camera. I really like Kstars but I will need to leave that behind. What kind of system has equivalent capability SGP or Maxim DL or NINA maybe?

#5 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:55 PM

I don't know anything about KStars, but Maxim DL and SGP are kind of the standard in observatory control, and NINA and APT are also well-known options. I have used APT and SGP in the past, and now use Voyager. They can all everything in your obsy that has an ASCOM compatible driver (mount, focuser, dome, camera, etc), plus Voyager can run external scripts and have things start and stop at pre-set times, and has a client-server mode for remote control without a remote desktop-type connection..

#6 ghilios

ghilios

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New York, NY

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:13 AM

FWIW, NINA now also has Dome control. I added it in the 1.11 nightlies early this year. It's seen enough use that I'd consider that capability stable.

• archer1960 likes this

#7 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:46 PM

What's wrong with PlaneWave's software?

....but my personal solution = TheSkyX Pro imaging.

#8 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:09 PM

Planewave will give you only give you some software with the mount. I can tell you that to build a mount model using the PWI4 software you need MaximDL. I use that same software with a non PW system. Once the model is built, though, you can use any software that supports ASCOM to run the mount. AFAIK there's no L300, the smaller model is the L350.

Rgrd-Ross

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment, Mount, Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics