•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about public use of larger telescopes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GreenTrees

GreenTrees

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:28 AM

I was reading about the public being able to rent use of the huge telescopes at Mount Wilson in California.    Do any folks here know of any similar opportunities for the midwest, or even better in Michigan?  I was thinking about universities and thought that might be possible.   I'm near Midland, Michigan and any suggestions are appreciated.

#2 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:36 AM

https://science.cran...ore/observatory

If they don't have what you want, perhaps they can direct you to a place that does.

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:19 PM

I don't know about any opportunities in the Midwest, but McDonald Observatory in west Texas allows private parties to rent time with their 82" scope from time to time.

• ShaulaB likes this

#4 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:16 PM

These guys (https://www.darkrang...scopetours.com/ ) have an observatory at the edge of Bryce Canyon National Park (an International Dark Site) with lots of big scopes for folks to use. More to your locale, they are mobile. If your club has some deep pockets maybe you can arrange something. Or, come to Utah! The Dark is amazing with all the red rock formations! Bryce Canyon is also in the path of totality for the Oct 2023 eclipse; maybe 2 birds with one stone? I am trying to get myself sorted for this same event. Good luck-

Mike 

#5 Astrix

Astrix

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:24 PM

Hello thank you everyone for your time and help all of you guys thank you so much
So in short words
Save more budget and get decent telescope right!!

I am from Bahrain (small island country in middle East) and the local store are very overpriced like 2x !! For example the zhumell z100 telescope on Amazon is about $158
On local store same model is priced for
148 BHD = $420 !!!
So my shopping options is online only

#6 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:42 PM

Most big telescopes are located in deserts or up on top of mountains. University astronomy professors and grad students in places like Michigan (no deserts or mountains) fly to the big scopes for research, or do it remotely.

In Missouri, where I live, there are amateurs with larger scopes than those used on our university campuses.

My husband and I like taking astronomy vacations. Utah national parks, Lowell Observatory, and Kitt Peak have been fun destinations. When Covid is over, we want to visit Mcdonald Observatory in Texas. Although the facilities atop Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii don't let the public "look" through scopes, it is thrilling to go on a tour and visit.

So save up and travel for some great experiences.
  • BFaucett likes this

#7 GreenTrees

GreenTrees

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.   Gemini, you gave me a great tip on Cranbrook observatory.   They do have public use of their scope and they are only just over an hour away!   Thanks again!

• wrvond likes this

#8 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.78° N

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.   Gemini, you gave me a great tip on Cranbrook observatory.   They do have public use of their scope and they are only just over an hour away!   Thanks again!

GreenTrees,

Just FYI:  Gemini is a label that refers to a member's post count. The member's name you're referring to is "wrvond."

See this thread:

CN Titles

https://www.cloudyni...1760-cn-titles/

Cheers! Bob F. 

Edited by BFaucett, 23 September 2021 - 05:13 AM.

• wrvond likes this

#9 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:05 PM

Most big telescopes are located in deserts or up on top of mountains. University astronomy professors and grad students in places like Michigan (no deserts or mountains) fly to the big scopes for research, or do it remotely.

In Missouri, where I live, there are amateurs with larger scopes than those used on our university campuses.

My husband and I like taking astronomy vacations. Utah national parks, Lowell Observatory, and Kitt Peak have been fun destinations. When Covid is over, we want to visit Mcdonald Observatory in Texas. Although the facilities atop Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii don't let the public "look" through scopes, it is thrilling to go on a tour and visit.

So save up and travel for some great experiences.

While you are right, visitors don't get to observe through the scopes atop Mauna Kea, the Hilo Astronomy Society (or whatever the club's name is) regularly  hosts public viewing at the Visitors' Center at 9000 ft.  Dress warmly, it gets COLD up there.

• GPKodiak likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics