•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do you log your views?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RobMacKillop

RobMacKillop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:22 AM

I just started sky watching a few mights ago, and filled with enthusiasm have been jotting down in a jotter a few comments: what I mainly concentrated on, and some snippets of info from subsequent research online. 

It struck me that I am definitely not the first to do this, and there are undoubtedly better ways of recording what you do. 

Any suggestions/advice? It's just a personal record, not of benefit or interest to anyone else, but I would like it to be searchable by myself in the future. Is there are generally-accepted way of doing this?

Rob

#2 Mizzmi27

Mizzmi27

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lee's Summit, MO

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:05 PM

I'm still new to the hobby but I had this same question soon after I started. Ultimately the answer is "there are lots of answers and whatever works best for you".

I ultimately found I didn't like physically taking notes while observing so what works for me is recording while I just talk about what I'm thinking/seeing as I observe. Then I try (keyword, it doesn't always happen) to listen to the recording in the next day or two during the day and add notes of interest to a Google Doc I have started to store general notes, areas of interest I haven't explored, notes on specific objects/stars I've viewed, etc.

It's also nice that the app I use for recording transcribes what I say so I also have the option of reading my notes (granted, it sometimes does a very poor job especially since some astronomical names are very unique and hard for the app to understand).

• RobMacKillop likes this

#3 RobMacKillop

RobMacKillop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:03 PM

I never thought of recording my voice. Hmm. Not sure my inane ramblings would be of use to me later.

I’ve just found this: https://binocularsky.com/BinObsLog.pdf which might be useful.

#4 spkerer

spkerer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:23 PM

I use a voice recorder when I'm observing.  The next day I'll transcribe and edit my notes.

• RobMacKillop, Scoper47 and Arcane26 like this

#5 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Skylab

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:04 AM

A common question for those just starting out. I went through several methods, up to creating my own observing log using Microsoft Access. I finally settled on using the logging features in SkySafari. I was already using it every session for my sky map, and it was a simple one time process to enter my equipment ('scope, eyepieces, finder, etc.) for selection in the logging process. The log feature allows you to enter sky conditions and has a notes field for entering any text you desire. Quite useful it is.

I recommend SkySafari regardless of the logging feature, you would not regret it.

Keep looking up!

CB

• dave253, ShaulaB and RobMacKillop like this

#6 johnhollingsworth2020

johnhollingsworth2020

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 September 2021 - 02:32 PM

I use SkySafari Pro 6 and found it very intuitive and useful.

#7 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 23 September 2021 - 04:35 PM

I take notes and do crude sketches on a half sized spiral bound sketch pad.  I use a pen that has a red light built into the barrel. 

I log my observing sessions in this discussion.

https://www.cloudyni...4#entry11367525

Then I copy the posts to a Word document so I can search them if I wish.

Edited by aeajr, 24 September 2021 - 08:12 AM.

#8 Scoper47

Scoper47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas USA

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:16 PM

I use a voice recorder when I'm observing.  The next day I'll transcribe and edit my notes.

I mostly use a voice recorder.  I have an Olympic hand held voice recorder.  If there are others trying to sleep I will simply make notations in my notebook. On notable objects I will sometimes make a sketch of it.  

Edited by Scoper47, 23 September 2021 - 06:17 PM.

#9 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:57 PM

but I would like it to be searchable by myself in the future. Is there are generally-accepted way of doing this?

Rob

A simple (free) tech way of doing is to write an astro blog. You can use a public platform like blogger.com (I think you can keep the blog public or private). You can read/write it from a phone/tablet/computer. Very easy to search. You can upload files like sketches, pictures. You decide what information to put on a blog post. You can link to external or other internal blog content easily in your posts.

You can also run a blog on your local network at home. I run mine as a twiki on a raspberry pi.

With some browser search extensions you can select a DSO name that you read about here, and search for it in your blog with a click.

Although I have not tried it,  these days there are blog to book tools which will print out the entire blog as a pdf and you can get it printed as a book.

#10 PNW

PNW

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:15 PM

I use a spiral notebook. I list the targets in the margin, leaving room for notes, on the right hand page. After my session, I drink beer and review my notes. On the left hand page I list the best of the evening and notes about temp, time of dark, who joined me, strange sounds I heard, and anything else. Then I go to bed a happy man.

Edited by PNW, 23 September 2021 - 08:18 PM.

#11 RobMacKillop

RobMacKillop

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:58 PM

Barry wins! waytogo.gif

#12 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:52 AM

I don't take notes, every time I go viewing, things are new and different.

#13 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 25 September 2021 - 11:58 AM

I have a couple of copies of The Pocket Sky Atlas that I use to record my star-hops and a simple notebook. I keep my notes very short and to the point. I don’t want to spend my night filling out forms. But, whatever floats your boat. :)

#14 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 25 September 2021 - 12:54 PM

I just started sky watching a few mights ago, and filled with enthusiasm have been jotting down in a jotter a few comments: what I mainly concentrated on, and some snippets of info from subsequent research online. 

It struck me that I am definitely not the first to do this, and there are undoubtedly better ways of recording what you do. 

Any suggestions/advice? It's just a personal record, not of benefit or interest to anyone else, but I would like it to be searchable by myself in the future. Is there are generally-accepted way of doing this?

Rob

I don't because I would never reference them again  Why would I when sky conditions are different every viewing nite  Only IMO, IME

Edited by LDW47, 25 September 2021 - 12:55 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics