•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense Alt-Az controls inverted

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:35 AM

Hi

The Starsense controls of my telescope do not correspond with the movement of the telescope. When I press the left button in the control pad, the telescope moves upwards (azimuth is in the altitude positions ofthe control pad) . Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks

#2 deansjc

deansjc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:54 AM

This happens with default settings at 5 or lower slow speeds. Otherwise, go to telescope settings and change to your preferred direction.

#3 deansjc

deansjc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:54 AM

*slew speeds

#4 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:36 PM

Thanks a lot for your answer . I changed the speeds and still have the same problem. 

The issue is that when I press the "up" button the telescope goes to the "right".

#5 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:08 PM

It is something I am working on too! StarSense gets the target close enough that I don't use the high speed slewing, if I can avoid it. Now if I can just remember why the up arrow is left image shift and the right arrow is image down! For me, I simply refuse to stop observing and sort it out, but with winter coming I will certainly have the time to re-read Michael Swanson's book and practice slower-speed slewing in the garage. Best of luck to you-

Mike 

#6 deansjc

deansjc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:44 PM

I apologize for misreading the OP.  Moving the up and down arrows should not result in a left or right action of the OTA.

Mike's reply above might be a different issue though, as he is talking about image movement, and not OTA movement. If I am interpreting the posts above correctly, image movement can be effected - at least if using a wedge - by where in azimuth the OTA is pointing at the time.  Also, you will get apparent movement of the image through the eyepiece, or on an image being sent to a screen via a camera, if the orientation of you or the sensor is not oriented level.  Terminology is a bit tricky here: by "level", I mean level to the horizon when pointing to the meridian.

Mike, I have never seen behaviour like you or the OP are describing.  My settings always move the OTA left when the left slew button is pressed, up when the up button is pressed.  That is because I have my settings set for this to happen.

I'll watch to see what others say, and what the outcome is.

Good luck.

John

#7 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:45 PM

I misused the word "image". I meant the view in my ep. I am visual-only, no wedge. And yes, it is strange! If the target presented by GoTo in my ep is in the top right of the view (which is almost always the case), I push the up button to bring it to the target to the left and the left button to bring it down!

#8 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:45 AM

Thank you all for your comments, appreciate them. I couldn’t find a solution anywhere on the internet so it must be a faulty telescope. Interesting to hear that -notdarkenough has the same issue. One question to you if I may, are you still able to use the Goto feature despite the issue, is this something that impacts the performance of your telescope? Thanks again

#9 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:55 AM

I am asking because I bought this telescope second hand a few days ago and still figuring out the impact of this on performance. It’s a Celestron Evolution 8” HD with Alt-Az Mount.

#10 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:16 AM

If you go into the menu on the Starsense controller and choose “Telescope” , then scroll down to “Setup” , and then choose “Direction Buttons” you can change the directions of the mount.

Stan

#11 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the issue is more complex. On the menu you can invert left to right and up to down. But you can’t assign left to up. Or right to down.

#12 VeloBob

VeloBob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Summers in WA, winters in FL

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:58 AM

I'm a relative newbie, so take this with a grain of salt, but it sounds to me like the wiring connectors in the mount are reversed.  There are two plugs in two side by side sockets, one for the az motor and one for the alt motor.  If these were reversed, the result would be exactly as you describe.  Of course, if this only happens with the StarSense HC and not with any other HC, then I'm obviously wrong.  Try another control, if you can find one, to see.

• Mugrelo likes this

#13 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

Posted 23 September 2021 - 02:37 PM

For me, there is no impact. The GoTo and Tracking are awesome! Rock solid.  As mentioned, I don't slew faster than speed 5 and thus don't have to worry about a different movement for the same button. The GoTo speed isn't slowed like the slew speed, so there isn't much impact. And, since I am already at a slower slew speed I can try which button does what without losing the target in my ep. I only use the slew buttons after GoTo, and from the Focus In/Out menu. It isn't optimal, but it is my rig's quirky charm! 

Mike

• Mugrelo likes this

#14 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:38 PM

Thank you for your comments and I agree. Must be an issue with the hardware. I will send it to a Celestron shop for repair. Cheers

#15 SkipW

SkipW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:39 PM

I'm a relative newbie, so take this with a grain of salt, but it sounds to me like the wiring connectors in the mount are reversed.  There are two plugs in two side by side sockets, one for the az motor and one for the alt motor.  If these were reversed, the result would be exactly as you describe.  Of course, if this only happens with the StarSense HC and not with any other HC, then I'm obviously wrong.  Try another control, if you can find one, to see.

I thought that at first, too, but if that were the case I don't see how GoTo and tracking could possibly work.

I agree with trying a regular NexStar+ (non-StarSense) HC with Alt-Az firmware if you have, or can borrow, one.

This situation seems very odd.

[Edit to add] You might do some investigation before going to the trouble and expense (and risk) of sending it in.

Edited by SkipW, 23 September 2021 - 03:40 PM.

• Mugrelo likes this

#16 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:06 PM

I am asking because I bought this telescope second hand a few days ago and still figuring out the impact of this on performance. It’s a Celestron Evolution 8” HD with Alt-Az Mount.

It sounds to me as if someone before you may have had the mount opened up for service, and gotten the connectors for the ALT and AZM motor boards confused when plugging it all back together.  Or something similar: reversed connections inside the mount.

Edited by mlord, 23 September 2021 - 05:24 PM.

• Mugrelo likes this

#17 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:58 AM

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated. I spoke with a Celestron repair shop and they think its the internal connections of the motor.  I need to locate the main board and simply  swap over the RA and DEC motor cables in the board. They said I can do it myself, They said its a quite easy repair.so I will have a go. Cheers

#18 SkipW

SkipW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:47 AM

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated. I spoke with a Celestron repair shop and they think its the internal connections of the motor.  I need to locate the main board and simply  swap over the RA and DEC motor cables in the board. They said I can do it myself, They said its a quite easy repair.so I will have a go. Cheers

I am interested to hear if this is the solution. Does GoTo and tracking work now?

#19 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:27 AM

I have managed to fix it! I have inverted the Alt Az plugs of the motherboard (which is located in the bottom of the base). It was not easy because you have to be careful when unplugging because they are hard to release. Should be very easy for someone with experience in electronics though

The direction of the telescope now correspond with the direction of the control pad. I will try tonight the GoTo feature if it’s not cloudy and let you know. Thanks all for your helpful comments. They were key to figure out the issue.

#20 Mugrelo

Mugrelo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:27 AM

I have managed to fix it! I have inverted the Alt Az plugs of the motherboard (which is located in the bottom of the base). It was not easy because you have to be careful when unplugging because they are hard to release. Should be very easy for someone with experience in electronics though

The direction of the telescope now correspond with the direction of the control pad. I will try tonight the GoTo feature if it’s not cloudy and let you know. Thanks all for your helpful comments. They were key to figure out the issue.
  • mlord likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics