•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Auto Guider Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ratcals

ratcals

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:44 AM

New guy here and I have a question regarding auto guider compatibility. I'm in the process of narrowing down which tracker I want to go with for my camera. It's either going to be the Star Adventurer 2i or the iOptron SkyGuider Pro. I see that both of them have a standard jack for an auto guider. My question is this; I have an auto guider from my Celestron 6SE. Will this be compatible with these two units?

Edited to say I might be using the wrong terminology and I don't mean auto guider, but hand controller.

Edited by ratcals, 22 September 2021 - 11:48 AM.

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:17 PM

Moving this from EAA to Equipment for a better fit. 

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:33 PM

What is the "auto guider from my Celestron 6SE?"  Does this auto guider have a model number or name?

I ask because the 6SE is a telescope (a 6" SCT) on a mount (the Celestron SE single-arm mount).  There's no auto guider inherent in that setup...

Any of the readily-available "mini" cameras (they're basically in a 1.25" eyepiece format) that has an ST-4 cable output will work for what you're proposing.

If what you have is one of those, you're all set.

edit: oh, I see.  As I was typing you edited your post.  No, your hand controller will not work.  You need an auto-guider, not a hand controller. Neither of those trackers take hand controllers.

Something like this:

https://agenaastro.c...ing-camera.html

Edited by OldManSky, 22 September 2021 - 12:35 PM.

#4 ratcals

ratcals

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:43 PM

edit: oh, I see.  As I was typing you edited your post.  No, your hand controller will not work.  You need an auto-guider, not a hand controller. Neither of those trackers take hand controllers.

Something like this:

Thank you sir for your quick reply and information. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I've downloaded the manual for the iOptron model and it mentions a Go2Nova 8408 Hand Controller. Implying it will work with a hand controller. 

#5 arbit

arbit

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:26 PM

The ioptron at least takes the 8408 (may be an extra buy depending on the package you get).

Hand controller circuitry and software is manufacturer / model specific. The celestron HC will not work in another brand's model, even if the jack accepts it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
  • OldManSky likes this

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:18 PM

Thank you sir for your quick reply and information. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I've downloaded the manual for the iOptron model and it mentions a Go2Nova 8408 Hand Controller. Implying it will work with a hand controller. 

Yes, but a) that doesn’t provide guiding and b) it won’t work with your hand controller. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics