•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any experiences with EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC115MM F/5.5 FPL-53 ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:21 PM

Would love to know your feedback on this instrument particularly  with whether there are any known flatteners that work well. I am not intent on a reducer since it is already F5.5.

Has this instrument met all your expectations? 

thank you!

#2 Brian Carter

Brian Carter

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:35 PM

A buddy of mine has one.  It is very lightweight, I like it optically, I hate the focuser.  The dew shield is comically short, to the point of not being functional.  If you have a dew heater you'll be fine though.  But all those digs at ES for their dew shields being oversized, I think they overcorrected a bit.

Edited by Brian Carter, 22 September 2021 - 01:35 PM.

#3 Neinball

Neinball

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:59 AM

Guy in my club has one, says the optics are excellent, and considering he doesn't think anything less than a Takahashi is acceptable for imaging use is high praise. He did say the focuser on it was really bad though, and required replacement with a better unit before he could use the scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics