•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader mark iii laser collimator for SCT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tturtle

tturtle

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:19 PM

I have a project where I will be doing some serious reconstruction of my SCT and am thinking to purchase one of these laser collimators. I cant find detailed instructions but it says you have to put a center dot on the secondary.  Anybody used one of these on an SCT?

https://www.baader-p...--mark-iii.html

#2 adosaj

adosaj

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:52 PM

I don’t mean to hijack your thread, but I was just wondering if a collimation tool is required to collimate a SCT if the primary has not been disturbed? I totally see that you would need the tool in your case, since the primary will be disturbed and need to be re-centered.  In my case, I just want to replace my collimation screws with Bob’s Knobs. A 1e6 pardons for not offering an answer to your question. 

Anil

• tturtle likes this

#3 insertnamehere

insertnamehere

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:16 PM

I have one. It's quite well made.

After a C8 rebuild I have use it to setup the secondary mirror roughly perpendicular to the optical line of the visual back by adjusting the returned laser spot to the centre of the collimator graticule. However, this doesn't guarantee collimation for the entire optical path. I wouldn't purchase it just for that purpose though.

I'm not sure how you intend to use the collimator on an SCT, what are you hope to get from it?

Chris

Edited by insertnamehere, 22 September 2021 - 09:17 PM.

#4 vtornado

vtornado

Skylab

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:39 PM

I don't have this collimator, but I do have an aligned Orion collimator.  There is registration error between the laser and the visual back.

It did not work for me.

I made my own artificial star and got my scope close to collimated, after replacing the original secondary screws with hex cap screws.

Simply prik a piece of aluminum foil with a very small sewing needle.   Don't drive the body all the way through. Just the point. Then place a flashlight behind that.  I collimated at 40ft, not the best distance but it got me close.  I finished off with a star.

Edited by vtornado, 23 September 2021 - 08:31 AM.

• insertnamehere likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics