•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY183C - How to Adjust the Green Machine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:56 PM

I wanted to make a small step up from the IMX464 sensor but the QHY485C that I have been considering is on a pretty long back order, so I picked up a QHY183C instead. Consistent with what I've read about this camera it's very strong in green so I'd like to know what others are doing to tame the Green Machine. I first thought a notch filter may be an option but I'm not up for filter that costs as much as the camera. Aside from dialing down the green what are some tips and tricks for this camera?

#2 AaronH

AaronH

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:23 PM

The green isn't an issue. It's not a "problem" that you want to solve optically.

Just use some kind of colour calibration in processing. Whether that's photometric color calibration (Siril/Pixinsight) or star colour calibration (APP). Then if you have any green noise left, apply SCNR green noise removal (Siril/Pixinsight) to tame it.

My QHY163c has the same issue, as do many OSC cameras. It's not a problem. Normalising the colour is just one of the steps in processing.

Edited by AaronH, 22 September 2021 - 09:23 PM.

• jdupton and MarMax like this

#3 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:53 PM

I should have probably posted this in the EAA forum since that is what I'll mostly be doing with the 183C. Hence my interest in taming the color balance up front since I can't post images in that forum with any post processing.

Maybe the moderator can move this to EAA.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics