•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vacation with the Nikon 10x25 Stabilized Binoculars

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 drt3d

drt3d

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:14 PM

Last week I went for a short vacation and I only took the Nikon 10x25 stabilized binoculars with me.

I was very pleased with them! We went for a boat tour and I really enjoyed using them during the tour. Also hiking, and other general activities. Not much astronomy, but I enjoyed looking at the full moon through the clouds.

I think this is the prefect travel pair, if you do not want to carry a lot of weight. The image quality is excellent, stabilization is very good and the 10x magnification I think is perfect for many subjects.

At home, when I compare them with the Canon 10x42, I find of course the Canon to be a lot better. And I always grab the Canon at home. But on vacation when I had nothing to compare them with, I was very pleased. They say that “Perfect is the enemy of good”.   For me the Canon 10x42 are perfect and the Nikon 10x25 are very good.

If you want to read more, here are my first impressions:
https://www.cloudyni...zed-binoculars/

This is a review in the birderforum:
https://www.birdforu...-review.395020/

A couple more comments:

I always worry about others (like my wife) being able to use my binoculars. I gave the Nikons to my daughter and she had no problem using them and she enjoyed them. I asked her if she could tell that they are stabilized. Her reply was “I guess” not very convincing but, without experience, you need to compare them with another pair to see the difference. Here is a picture of my daughter with the binoculars.

SMALL-IMG_6768.jpg

The best case for them in indeed the Lowepro Dashpoint 20. I carry a another Lowepro case for my cameras, so I attached the Dashpoint 20 to the side to be reminded to use them (I tend to forget when I am busy taking pictures). Here is a picture of me at vacation. You can see the Dashipoint 20 on the side of my camera bag:

SMALL-IMG_6783.jpg

SMALL-NikonStabilizedBinoculars (8).jpg

I ran out of battery during the first half hour of using them so I am glad I had an extra on in the special pocket that attaches to the strap. That’s good thinking from Nikon’s side. The batteries (CR2) last for 3.5 hours of continuous use and are relatively inexpensive. I think the system works very well.

Bottom line: This is the best travel pair of binoculars for me and I will use them a lot more in the future. I hope Nikon makes more models. And the price is a bit too high, getting them from ebay, it needs to drop smile.gif

• paulsky, Jae, Illinois and 6 others like this

#2 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:33 PM

I agree whole heartedly!

I carry mine almost everywhere, they do fit in most pockets when they're slightly opened, not fully folded closed, so they form a curve which hugs the leg (or body, in a jacket pocket.) 

In isolation, the only criticism of them for me is the smallish exit pupil making eye placement more critical than on bigger binos.

Comparing them to the Other binos in my sig, the view is a little dimmer and narrower with less edge sharpness than for example the fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX.

Other than that, they really are fantastic! 

• paulsky likes this

#3 KaterinBortle9

KaterinBortle9

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:37 PM

I would seriously consider getting one if only the eye relief is 17mm or more, not 14mm. For some un-explainable reasons, the "frog" shaped IS binoculars from Canon and Fujifilm turns me off aesthetically. Thank you for sharing your experience!

• MT4 likes this

#4 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:51 AM

bounce.gif Frogs are cute. bounce.gif

I have spent many hours trying to justify the Nikon 10x25. I got close to ordering. I think they are cutting it close in many technical aspects (say eye relief, folded size, weight). If one could try them in a local store that would make the decision much easier. At the end of the day Nikon doesn't want to sell them in the USA and forbids Amazon/JP to ship. But I hope a future version will be supported and available outside of Japan.

#5 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, JP

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:12 AM

Comparing them to the Other binos in my sig, the view is a little dimmer and narrower with less edge sharpness than for example the fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX.

Other than that, they really are fantastic! 

Oh you should not have compared the Nikon 10x25 IS against the Fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX.  Most every 10x bino loses out to the Fujinon, with the only exception being the mighty Nikon WX 10x50.

• Stevenkelby likes this

#6 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, JP

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:22 AM

I would seriously consider getting one if only the eye relief is 17mm or more, not 14mm. For some un-explainable reasons, the "frog" shaped IS binoculars from Canon and Fujifilm turns me off aesthetically. Thank you for sharing your experience!

i am in the same boat regarding eye relief.   I’ve wanted a Nikon 10x25 IS but the short eye relief is the dealbreaker.

Regarding the frog-shaped IS binos from Canon, my old notes used to say this about them:  “The looks of those Canon IS binos are not my cup of tea.”   That was the only reason I had put off buying a Canon IS bino for so long.  I finally bought a used 15x50 IS for some 600 dollars in mid Jul.  it quickly became my most used bino, forcing all my other nice binos to take a back seat.  As for the looks, now I am not seeing anything wrong with how myCanon 15x50 IS looks.  It’s the strangest thing!

• SMark likes this

#7 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Tennessee

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:28 PM

A pleasant and entertaining read, thank you. I normally wouldn't consider a 10x25 binocular, but this looks interesting for general use. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it online to purchase (or just learn the approximate price.)

Is availability limited in the U.S.? 

Edited by William Whitaker, 23 September 2021 - 01:28 PM.

#8 drt3d

drt3d

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:37 PM

A pleasant and entertaining read, thank you. I normally wouldn't consider a 10x25 binocular, but this looks interesting for general use. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it online to purchase (or just learn the approximate price.)

Is availability limited in the U.S.? 

For some reason Nikon has not made these available for sale in the USA. The only way (I know of) to get them is via ebay. Here is what I wrote in my first review here: 

"Ordered them from Japan on ebay. Quite a few sellers list these. Prices are comparable. All sellers have anywhere from 5 to 15 business days before shipping them, which means that they do not have them in stock but they are buying from somewhere else (perhaps Nikon). I found a seller with good feedback, one of the lowest prices ($647 shipped - I used my ebay points and saved $45) and the lowest delay (5 business days). Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284198833572

I ordered them Saturday July 3 and were delivered to me in the USA on Friday July 9 with DHL. So, great speed and service from this seller."

George

• William Whitaker likes this

#9 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:40 PM

https://www.ebay.com...culars&_sacat=0

https://www.birdforu...-review.395020/

Stan

Edited by hallelujah, 23 September 2021 - 01:44 PM.

#10 drt3d

drt3d

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:46 PM

I see the price on ebay has been dropping. It has gone from $700 to $650 and now I see it is as low as $600.

How much do these Japanese sellers pay for it?  Ebay keeps about 15% fees, plus they offer free shipping at these prices.

My guess is that they pay around $300-$350 to buy them (maybe from Nikon) and offer them for sale for $600 and free shipping.

I don't understand why Nikon does not sell these to the USA? Anyone knows? It would make a big difference if the price was $350 vs. $600.

George

• William Whitaker likes this

#11 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:04 PM

Kyoei sells them as well, about the same price as ebay. 

https://www.kyoei-os...stabilized.html

#12 paulsky

paulsky

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:00 AM

How is for the casual moon watch? Thanks,
Paul

#13 drt3d

drt3d

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:27 AM

How is for the casual moon watch? Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Actually, it is very good! The moon is a demanding target especially for chromatic aberration. I see false colors in all binoculars, some are better than others. This Nikon is very good. It shows very little chromatic aberration, one of the lowest I have seen in any pair. The magnification is 10x so the moon does not look too big, but big enough. Stabilization is very useful. Overall, I think you will be happy looking at the moon with this pair. :)

George 

• paulsky and ihf like this

#14 paulsky

paulsky

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:57 AM

George, thank you very much for your kind reply!!
Paul

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics