•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atlas Mount - Alignment bolts turn but don't move mount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Akron, OH, USA

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:57 PM

Hi all,

I recently moved to a new home and because of that, I haven't done deep sky imaging in about 4 months. I bought my Atlas mount some 4 years ago, and never disassembled it in that span, always carrying it fully assembled from my garage to my yard. I packed it up a couple months ago and reassembled this afternoon. I did not follow instructions, but everything seemed fine. I powered up my ASIair Pro tonight and everything is working great electronically. Unfortunately, I'm having my first ever problem with my mount: turning the altitude and azimuth bolts does..... absolutely nothing. Even with the center bolt firmly screwed in and the mount secured to the tripod, nothing happens. So I downloaded the instruction manual to see where I went wrong. My tripod doesn't even look like the one in the PDF! It says to align the "post" between the azimuth bolts. The problem is that I don't have a post on my tripod. At all. Was there another version of the mount that doesn't have it? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Damien

#2 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:12 PM

Here are photos of my tripod and mount head. 

PXL_20210923_030827541.NIGHT_compress79.jpg

PXL_20210923_030908254.NIGHT_compress10.jpg

#3 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:15 PM

Now that I'm looking at it again, it looks like I'm supposed to have a post to screw into one of those holes on the tripod?

#4 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:22 PM

Now that I'm looking at it again, it looks like I'm supposed to have a post to screw into one of those holes on the tripod?

Yup. Looks like it fell out. It's a rectangular block with screw threads at one end. IIRC it's a 10mm thread. Anyways you can fabricate one with a piece of metric ready rod, or any headless bolt of the right thread and length.

Edited by DuncanM, 22 September 2021 - 10:23 PM.

• Thundermoon1994 likes this

#5 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:20 PM

Yup. Looks like it fell out. It's a rectangular block with screw threads at one end. IIRC it's a 10mm thread. Anyways you can fabricate one with a piece of metric ready rod, or any headless bolt of the right thread and length.

*Sigh* Thanks for confirming. Looks like tonight isn't my night. 

#6 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Soyuz

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:25 PM

A quick fix is to get a 10mm nut and bolt. Cut off the head of the bolt then screw it into the appropriate hole in the top of the tripod and secure it with a nut. You can flatten two opposite sides of the bolt when you have a file and some time. If you get the right length bolt, you might be able to use the head as the flats for the adjustment bolts to push against but this may slightly shorten the azimuth adjustment range.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics