•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

And now for something completely different.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:04 PM

The sky was teasing me, crystal clear . . . between the puffy banks of silvery clouds. Jupiter, Saturn, and of course the Moon all looked tantalizingly attractive between the clouds, but the distant flashes of lightning kept me from wheeling out the C11 on its brand new casters. Instead, I grabbed the Sony a6000 and the 55-210 mm zoom lens (the longest I have that isn't a telescope) and snapped 25 frames to stack. It is difficult to focus on that little screen on the back. I missed. Oops. To salvage something interesting out of an otherwise crappy shot, I turned up the saturation and made a "mineral Moon" out of it.

Sony a6000, 210 mm, ISO 100, 1/125s, 25 lights. 17 degrees above the horizon.

gallery_346195_16100_7845.png

Edited by Borodog, 22 September 2021 - 10:10 PM.

• Kenny V., John_Moore, WarmWeatherGuy and 3 others like this

#2 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

You'll enjoy the C11 on wheels. It's the only way to travel waytogo.gif

I have a 75-260 Soligor Frankenlens that I use with the IMX464 and it's nearly impossible to focus. I use the take several pics inside and outside of focus and hope you get lucky technique. It is however my only option for a 7 degree FOV.

• Borodog likes this

#3 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:49 PM

I have an adapter to use Sony E-mount lenses with my ASI183MC. I spent an embarrassing amount of time one day trying to get one of the lenses to focus before I realized it was an autofocus lens that needed to be powered by a camera body.

#4 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 September 2021 - 04:02 PM

I picked up a QHY183C (since the 485 was on backorder) so I spent a good two hours with it yesterday finding the correct spacer to work with the Frankenlens. Of course it's in-between two spacers that I have. It's 16mm and I have a 15 and a 17 (stack of two). Now I understand why 1mm or less is so important in camera spacing.

I'm looking forward to some EAA with the 183 and hopefully I'll figure out how to dial down the green.

And looking outside today it's all about the smoke again so I'll have to wait it out.

I did some reading on how to create a mineral Moon in Photoshop and it's so many steps and uses tools I'm not familiar with so I'll just enjoy pics by others . . . lol.

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 12:05 AM

If it's anything like the ASI version, you don't dial down the green; you dial up the red and blue (mostly the blue).

• MarMax likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics