•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ platform's designed latitude: how to guess?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fromEarth

fromEarth

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

Hi --

My friend found a decent home-made EQ platform whose designed latitude is unknown. He may adjust the platform after some star drift tricks, but it will be nice to know the platform's designed latitude.

Is there any simple method to guess it? His EQ platform looks like a Tom O. clone.  

fromEarth

Edited by fromEarth, 22 September 2021 - 10:35 PM.

#2 sctbrd

sctbrd

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:41 PM

Measure the angle of the mount from horizontal and that should give you the latitude for the mount. A cool app on Android is MultiClinometer, for easy angle/level measure.

sk-pol1.gif

Edited by sctbrd, 22 September 2021 - 11:43 PM.

#3 sctbrd

sctbrd

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:11 AM

Be careful, the "latitude" angle is the angle of Polaris from the horizon, and its different from a WEDGE, if you come across information measuring a wedge.

FYI, this is wedge setup:

https://www.cloudyni...e-and-latitude/

#4 fromEarth

fromEarth

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:17 AM

Thank, but what I mentioned was an EQ "platform" for dobs, not an EQ mount/wedge.

His platform is similar to this design. I think he needs to check the south bearing area, but he is not sure which section's angle he needs to measure.

http://www.equatoria...m/compact.shtml

fromEarth

Edited by fromEarth, 23 September 2021 - 01:38 AM.

#5 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Falls Church, VA (Washington DC suburb)

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:21 PM

In principle I would have that inclined surface at the south bearing in the equatorial plane with the platform level, but in practice it could be off a bit depending on how the north bearings are set up.  I would measure that angle, adjust the feet to get it at the desired inclination, and then do drift alignment and adjust from there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics