•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atlas EQ-G Mount not slewing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Surfer4329

Surfer4329

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:28 PM

Hello out there! I'm having an issue where my mount is able to be manually slewed using the EQMOD driver on my laptop. But as soon as I try to slew to an object using Stellarium or NINA I can hear my mount start to slew for a split second then it stops. After this happens Stellarium shows my mount pointing directly at the Eastern horizon. Afterwards I try to click on "Park To Home Position" but it does nothing. The only way I can get stellarium to recognize the scope being in the home position is by closing down EQMOD and starting it back up. I appreciate anyone out there willing to help. Thanks smile.gif

Update: It looks like it is my DEC axis that is getting stuck. It slews for about a degree or 2 then it stops attempting to slew further. I should probably have said that earlier today I took the mount apart to clean off excess grease from the inside where the clutch contacts the big brass cylinder. The previous owner did his own tuning of the mount in the past and caked a ton of grease on the inside and the clutch would slip when the mount was under full 30lb load. Anyway, I took it apart today and put it back together with no issue. I didn't mess with the gears at all. I left them all intact. However, like I said earlier: the mount slews beautifully manually using EQMOD controls, but the second I try to automatically slew it using Stellarium or NINA it stops slewing after a split second then Stellarium shows the mount pointing at the Eastern Horizon. Also, after I put the mount together today, I opened Stellarium and was able to automatically slew to the sun then park the mount successfully with no issue. The mount was under full load at that time too. I'm stumped.

Edited by Surfer4329, 22 September 2021 - 11:19 PM.

#2 Surfer4329

Surfer4329

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:07 AM

I figured it out. The laptop slept itself at some point. I had to restart the laptop and everything works beautifully. I'll leave this post up here just in case someone has a similar issue. Clear Skies!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics