•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

improve my setup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Droro

Droro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: middle east

Posted 23 September 2021 - 02:19 AM

hi all, 

i have an explore scientific 80mm triplet, and not much of a mount, just a skywatcher azgti. 

i have a nikon d5600. 

my experiences in AP have not been exciting so far, especially since the az gti keeps disconnecting during alignment (ihave it in eq mode, it works fine when slewing with the app).

any advice ? 

i am willing to spend some cash to improve things. (in cash i mean a few hundred dollars.)

would a asair pro be relevant for this setup ? 

thanks !

#2 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 23 September 2021 - 02:40 AM

ASiAir Pro (or the new one coming out) is where I'd spend my bucks. It will allow you to control the mount, do polar alignment and platesolve and goto.

In the future you can also hook up a guidescope and guide camera and do guided exposures and install the EAF and run the autofocus routine on your ES scope.

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 23 September 2021 - 10:24 AM

I would sell your current mount and buy the best EQ mount you can afford.

Use PHD2 (free).

ASIAir won't make a poor mount into a good mount.

• DesertCrawler and Ibuprofen200mg like this

#4 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Vostok 1

• Loc: SC, USA

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:06 AM

I think you're probably going to run into even more problems, like I did with an ~80mm scope and DSLR on a light mount (Star Adventurer):

• At that focal length you will probably need auto guiding for any exposures past 30-60 seconds, especially with manual polar alignment
  • Adding too much more to that mount will likely be pushing the limits of what it can do from a weight perspective

a DSLR is a great place to start and D5600 is a good one. I have the D5300 and it is a great performer. If you don't want to spend a ton of extra money I'd consider the following:

• Pick up a used Nikkor ai-s 180 ed f/2.8 from ebay <$200, this will attach directly to your camera and is essentially a 180 mm f/2.8 semi-APO telescope
  • Pick up a ZWO ASI120MM-mini ($150) and an Svbony SV165 guide scope ($50) to add guiding to your setup
  • I'd also look into getting an L bracket to attach the guide scope and camera together. You can mount the guide scope to the hot shoe put it's not very stable

These things would allow you to add guiding and get very good polar alignment using the guide cam and something like SharpCap Pro. The reduced weight and focal length of the Nikkor 180 ED would demand less of your mount in regards to tracking and should yield some really nice widefield images. When you do have the funds to upgrade your mount (the next big step) you will be able to re-use the guide scope and guide cam and start using your 80 mm triplet again. You can always keep the 180 ED for daytime stuff (produces wonderful bokeh for portraits and is super sharp) or just sell it on here and get your $200 back. 

Good luck!

#5 Droro

Droro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:57 AM

I think you're probably going to run into even more problems, like I did with an ~80mm scope and DSLR on a light mount (Star Adventurer):

• At that focal length you will probably need auto guiding for any exposures past 30-60 seconds, especially with manual polar alignment
  • Adding too much more to that mount will likely be pushing the limits of what it can do from a weight perspective

a DSLR is a great place to start and D5600 is a good one. I have the D5300 and it is a great performer. If you don't want to spend a ton of extra money I'd consider the following:

• Pick up a used Nikkor ai-s 180 ed f/2.8 from ebay <$200, this will attach directly to your camera and is essentially a 180 mm f/2.8 semi-APO telescope
  • Pick up a ZWO ASI120MM-mini ($150) and an Svbony SV165 guide scope ($50) to add guiding to your setup
  • I'd also look into getting an L bracket to attach the guide scope and camera together. You can mount the guide scope to the hot shoe put it's not very stable

These things would allow you to add guiding and get very good polar alignment using the guide cam and something like SharpCap Pro. The reduced weight and focal length of the Nikkor 180 ED would demand less of your mount in regards to tracking and should yield some really nice widefield images. When you do have the funds to upgrade your mount (the next big step) you will be able to re-use the guide scope and guide cam and start using your 80 mm triplet again. You can always keep the 180 ED for daytime stuff (produces wonderful bokeh for portraits and is super sharp) or just sell it on here and get your $200 back. 

Good luck!

great advice, thanks !

#6 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:26 AM

Here is a link to a review of that lens. https://www.kenrockw...ikon/180f28.htm . That lens is arguably one of the finest Nikon ever made. It is exceptional as a portrait lens. Place it on a tripod and carefully focus manually and it will exceed the quality of my much newer and more expensive 70-200 f/2.8 that I have in my kit. Keep in mind these older AIS lenses will not meter through the less expensive Nikon bodies. It will through the semi pro cameras like the  300, 700 or 850. Setting the camera up in manual mode and looking at the histogram works just fine. 

For AP try it wide open as well as stopped down to say f/5.6. It will not exceed the quality of a dedicated refractor like the Redcat, but it will be close for a lot less money and still be useful for taking photos of family etc.

#7 Droro

Droro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:04 AM

Good luck!

i got the nikkon 180 2.8 lens as per your recommendation. (from japan , around 250$ near mint). 

What a lens ! 

i have currently only used it in regular photography in manual mode, but the quality is something else. 

thanks for the tip. 

Edited by Droro, 15 October 2021 - 02:04 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics