•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Impressive Svbony Plössl eypieces

Classic Equipment Eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 October 2021 - 11:12 PM

I didn't notice them until ~2015, and they weren't as good as now.

I'm not sure how incorporation facts matter. 

Recent empirical details are important for me.  Real, recent experience facts.

#102 Skywatcher Simon

Skywatcher Simon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hamburg

Posted 12 October 2021 - 11:18 AM

Yesterday the moon could be seen in Hamburg. Although very low in the sky, I could look at him for a few minutes.

Screenshot_20211012-183308-635~2.png

With the Svbony 102 ED refractor and the Svbony Plossl eyepieces, you are well equipped to enjoy beautiful views of the moon.

Svbony_SV131_Plossl_Set.jpg

I took the pictures with my smartphone on the eyepiece. Unfortunately it was windy and I didn't have a steady hand.

With the 6mm it gets a bit challenging again because the glass element is small.

Svbony_SV131_Plossl_6mm.jpg

That doesn't bother me with planets, but with the moon I found it a bit tiring.

My neighbor and his children were there yesterday and they most liked the view with the 25mm eyepiece.

Svbony_SV131_Plossl_25mm.jpg

Yes, I have also observed distortions at the edge of the FOV with the moon. With the 25mm, 17mm and the 12mm.

My neighbor and his children didn't notice anything like that, of course. They were just amazed at the sight of the craters. smile.gif

I think the eyepieces are definitely suitable to give every beginner a good view of the moon and planets. I didn't have any premium eyepieces in my hand yet, but I had significantly worse eyepieces. grin.gif

I couldn't enjoy the view for a long time because clouds were already on the march.

Moon_clouds.jpg

A friend of mine still has my old 60/700 refractor with the "simple" eyepieces. I will borrow the eyepieces from him and then compare them with the Plossl from Svbony. So it remains exciting! For me. lol.gif

Edited by Skywatcher Simon, 12 October 2021 - 11:39 AM.

• doctordub, SteveG, SeattleScott and 1 other like this

#103 Skywatcher Simon

Skywatcher Simon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 10:57 AM

Hey guys,

I just got my old 60/700 refractor back and wanted to show you the "simple" eyepieces that I mentioned in my last post.

Simple_telescope_eyepieces_03.jpg

The eyepieces are practically without a coating, at least it is hardly visible. They just feel very cheap. Made of plastic.

The part with the thread is made of metal but unfortunately not blackened.

Simple_telescope_eyepieces_06.jpg

The weigh of the eyepieces is:

25mm 44g, 12.5mm 32g, 9mm 30g an the 4mm weighs 29g.

I went to the balcony and took a few quick pictures of the skyscrapers and a nearby chimney.

Simple_telescope_eyepieces_04.jpg

I was not used to the small opening of only 60 mm. With the 9mm eyepiece the image was visibly darker and with the 4mm I could hardly see anything!

Simple_telescope_eyepieces_05.jpg

As you can see in the pictures, the 9mm is most affected by distortion. It wasn't easy to focus the picture.

Simple_telescope_eyepieces_9mm_2.jpg

Simple_telescope_eyepieces_9mm.jpg

And I don't even want to start with the view comfort. The eyecup is made of "hard" rubber, which cannot be folded down. At least you can tear off the eyecup completely. Then the entire field of view can be seen.

I will soon make a comparison with the Svbony Plössl on my 102 ED refractor. There was no time for today.

I can already say that the Svbony Plössl are of a completely different quality than these "simple" eyepieces. 100%!

Until next time!

Edited by Skywatcher Simon, 19 October 2021 - 12:09 PM.

• SteveG and Rick-T137 like this

#104 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2021 - 04:31 AM

You have a very nice test range outside your window!

I can see maybe 3 types of aberration at once in the cheap EPs.

The atmospheric effects aren't as bad as here (North of Boston, MA)...more 'fine grained'.

Edited by MartinPond, 20 October 2021 - 04:32 AM.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#105 Skywatcher Simon

Skywatcher Simon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 AM

I used the Svbony Plössl in the 60/700 refractor and was able to immediately notice an optical improvement in the image quality.

The image appears sharper and viewing is much more comfortable than with the original "simple" eyepieces. The comparison may not be 100% representative, as the sun shone very irregularly today and the tower was sometimes brightened and sometimes darkened.

Plössl_60_700_.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher Simon, Yesterday, 08:59 AM.

• LDW47 likes this

#106 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted Yesterday, 02:45 PM

I used the Svbony Plössl in the 60/700 refractor and was able to immediately notice an optical improvement in the image quality.

The image appears sharper and viewing is much more comfortable than with the original "simple" eyepieces. The comparison may not be 100% representative, as the sun shone very irregularly today and the tower was sometimes brightened and sometimes darkened.

attachicon.gifPlössl_60_700_.jpg

Does not surprise

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classic, Equipment, Eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics