•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Question On Dew Heaters

Beginner Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matt_C

Matt_C

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:27 AM

Hello All,

This is a double barrelled question, but being as it is equipment related, I thought this would be the best place to post. I apologise if it is not.

I am very new to Deep Space Imaging and I purchased my equipment from a well known retailer here in the UK. when I asked about what dew heaters they recommend, the guy said he recommends their own brand, and so I purchased them.

Well, attached are the pictures I have taken of what I received, but I cannot figure out how to power them up.

I assumed that they would plug into the ASIAIR Pro I purchased from them, but they are the wrong connection.

Can anybody advise me of how to power these up?

51511406206_8024c46784.jpgDew Heater by Matthew Cornwell

51511406421_6a7a9c0297.jpgControl Cable by Matthew Cornwell

51512117394_449af97384.jpgUnknown Cable by Matthew Cornwell

The second part of my question is,

At what temperature should I start using these?

It is around 16-17 Celsius or 60 Fahrenheit at night where I am, should I already be using them or is it not cold enough to worry?

Thanks,

Matt.

#2 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:40 AM

Your last picture of an unknown cable, has an F-Connector. It is used to connect the dew heater to a dew controller. A dew controller is used to adjust the power to the dew heater straps.

Dew heaters usually do not need to run at 100%. The goal to prevent dew is to keep the temperature of the optics just a couple of degrees higher than the outside ambient temperature.

Dew comes from high humidity, so if humidty is high you need a dew heater.

• Skysmacker and Matt_C like this

#3 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:45 AM

Most dew heaters, for reasons I cannot understand, use old-style RCA plugs for connection to a dew-heater controller such as those made by AstroZap. If you want to make that connection, you normally would need a male-to-male RCA cable.

It looks like they also supply you with an adapter cable that allows you to connect the dew heater strip to a conventional 12v-style barrel plug. You have those on the ASIAIR Pro but (not being familiar with the ASIAIR Pro) I can't confirm whether they have finally implemented the power management module to allow ASIAIR to control a dew heater.  You'll want to check that and make sure your version of the ASIAIR Pro can control a dew heater.

• Matt_C likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics