•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autostackert Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:31 PM

I'm getting a strange problem when I process in autostackert. My Firecapture frames look pretty good before stacking, but after stacking the images are coming out strangely distorted. I tried posting an image of the problem but it won't post...

The edges look like 4 or 5 different images were placed on top of each other but offset randomly away from accurate alignment.

I'm not processing these differently from previous successful attempts, and have tried selecting a tiny alignment point right at the limb, tried letting autostackert automatically select it's own alignment points, tried deselecting the "sharpened" box and all other configurations.

I'm selecting the frames to be stacked as a percentage, (30%, 40%, 30%) of the total frames.

I'm thinking I'd like to reset autostackert to the default configuration as a next step but am not sure how to do it other than uninstall/reinstall.

Any ideas what can be causing this?

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:40 PM

Hi,

Without seeing your configuration at each step, my guesses are:

1) Something transits your disc and or your disc shakes at some point where it leaves the FOV at the edges a few times.

2) You have it set to planetary instead of surface for alignment point placement; or your alignment anchor is much too large (reduce it to a single feature on the disc with high contrast).

You can use the preview window in AS!3 to look at your frames individually; you can quickly click through them to find bad frames with artifact or that left the FOV. Press "spacebar" to mark them as "do not use." No need to recompile if you find bad frames causing this. Remember that it works via contrast, so an artifact with high contrast will often be marked as the highest quality weighting and so it will be early in your preview making this easy to troubleshoot (if it's this).

To post images, it's likely due to the size of the image with the 500Kb limit. If you want to host elsewhere and simply link, you can use Imgur or Fickr or if you have Astrobin you can set it to not be public and only allow viewing with a given link. You can also do this with google drive.

Very best,

• briansalomon1 likes this

#3 dswtan

dswtan

Viking 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:28 PM

To post images, it's likely due to the size of the image with the 500Kb limit. If you want to host elsewhere and simply link, you can use Imgur or Flickr or if you have Astrobin you can set it to not be public and only allow viewing with a given link. You can also do this with google drive.

Or folks could post right here on CN via the Gallery:

Screenshot 2021 05 29 114352

#4 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:00 PM

Hi,

Without seeing your configuration at each step, my guesses are:

1) Something transits your disc and or your disc shakes at some point where it leaves the FOV at the edges a few times.

2) You have it set to planetary instead of surface for alignment point placement; or your alignment anchor is much too large (reduce it to a single feature on the disc with high contrast).

You can use the preview window in AS!3 to look at your frames individually; you can quickly click through them to find bad frames with artifact or that left the FOV. Press "spacebar" to mark them as "do not use." No need to recompile if you find bad frames causing this. Remember that it works via contrast, so an artifact with high contrast will often be marked as the highest quality weighting and so it will be early in your preview making this easy to troubleshoot (if it's this).

To post images, it's likely due to the size of the image with the 500Kb limit. If you want to host elsewhere and simply link, you can use Imgur or Fickr or if you have Astrobin you can set it to not be public and only allow viewing with a given link. You can also do this with google drive.

Very best,

You're right, I did have autostackert set for planetary. Also, I had de-selected "prevent ringing". It's working again, thanks.

• Lost in Space, torsinadoc and MalVeauX like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics