•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who else had to flock their Tri-Mag Barlow?

Eyepieces Moon Optics Orion
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gaia9573

Gaia9573

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sequoia National Park, California

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:02 PM

Just received my new (Chinese-made) Orion Tri-Mag Barlow last week. 

Optics appear to be very good and she's definitely a keeper.  However, after a couple of nights of lunar observation, it became obvious that there was a serious glare issue. 

Now, while I like what they did with the micro-baffling (is that what it actually is?) inside the lower part of the barrel, the black paint they used is glossy and almost reflective -- to the extent that it negates any benefit provided by all those wonderful little baffles.  In fact, the glare from the first quarter moon was so bright and distracting that it basically rendered the Barlow useless until it was addressed, somehow.

After a bit of frustrating trial-and-error with a can of mislabeled black semi-gloss (but labeled and sold as "Ultra Flat" -- thanks for nothing once again, Amazon) Krylon spray paint, I eventually broke down and installed a small strip of Protostar FlockBoard inside the Tri-Mag's lower barrel. 

Problem solved.

Was this ever a problem with the older Tri-Mags, before they were made in China?  I'd love to know . . .

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:45 PM

Just received my new (Chinese-made) Orion Tri-Mag Barlow last week. 

Optics appear to be very good and she's definitely a keeper.  However, after a couple of nights of lunar observation, it became obvious that there was a serious glare issue. 

Now, while I like what they did with the micro-baffling (is that what it actually is?) inside the lower part of the barrel, the black paint they used is glossy and almost reflective -- to the extent that it negates any benefit provided by all those wonderful little baffles.  In fact, the glare from the first quarter moon was so bright and distracting that it basically rendered the Barlow useless until it was addressed, somehow.

After a bit of frustrating trial-and-error with a can of mislabeled black semi-gloss (but labeled and sold as "Ultra Flat" -- thanks for nothing once again, Amazon) Krylon spray paint, I eventually broke down and installed a small strip of Protostar FlockBoard inside the Tri-Mag's lower barrel. 

Problem solved.

Was this ever a problem with the older Tri-Mags, before they were made in China?  I'd love to know . . .

I'll have to check mine, which is very old, and Chinese. I would not know, because I've never used it on lunar, only planets.

#3 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 September 2021 - 07:55 PM

My Tri-Mag says China and all the threads and ribs are flat black.

Inconsistency could be an issue, though.

When I want to deaden threads or ribs, I just put a very small amount of

flat black craft paint on a toothbrush and turn the device while applying.

The glass should be far away during this, of course.  Put no black at the filter-end.

Don't jam the threads.

Edited by MartinPond, 25 September 2021 - 07:56 PM.

• thecelloronin likes this

#4 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:51 PM

Flock every internal surface you can see. Especially barlows, diagonals,  and internal walls of inner light baffles in cassegrains. Will improve views, especially Luna.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, Moon, Optics, Orion

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics