•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bad seeing tonite

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:22 PM

Everything is boiling away in the 90mm Achro tonite  Venus was a boiling gibbous with some color with a 5mm Delite and really bad in a 3.2mm.  Jupiter is also a mess with anything past  a 8mm eyepiece. Venus will get much better when it gets closer and higher before dark. Jup and Sat are still low even for me in FL. I will check Saturn later and hope the seeing is better.

• dagadget likes this

#2 dagadget

dagadget

Apollo

• Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:32 PM

Everything is boiling away in the 90mm Achro tonite  Venus was a boiling gibbous with some color with a 5mm Delite and really bad in a 3.2mm.  Jupiter is also a mess with anything past  a 8mm eyepiece. Venus will get much better when it gets closer and higher before dark. Jup and Sat are still low even for me in FL. I will check Saturn later and hope the seeing is better.

lol I have my AT 92 set up and ready to go in Avon Park but we are presently getting a Thunderstorm but I would have liked your conditions better Poor seeing is better than rain outs 

#3 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:32 PM

Venus was a boiling gibbous with some color with a 5mm Delite

We used to dream about Venus being a boiling gibbous disk.. Luxury.... It would have been like a Hubble shot for us....

#4 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:37 PM

We are having the best skies in months, except for the moon. Yesterday I was using a 6 mm eyepiece in my C8Edge for the planets (near transit times). I tried also a 4.7 mm, but that was pushing to much an effective f/11 SCT scope :D

Well, to be more precise there were some kind of big cells bringing the planets slightly out of focus from time to time... Or was that my eye?

Well, time to take a quick look at the GRS (I'm afraid it's still too low in the sky...)

#5 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:49 PM

We have clouds and some rain here.  The next 5 - 6 days look iffy.

#6 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:21 PM

I'm back from the quick session. It was a very nice one! Plenty of details through thr C8edge+Ethos 6mm. The ethos 8 gave steadier views, but there 6 worked well most of the time and have this extra push. The telescope was more limiting than the seeing. There was a hint of details in the GRS and certainly some color grading.

The mosquitos had also their feast .

Chas, you'll have soon your 1000x seeing back.

Edited by sanbai, 24 September 2021 - 08:21 PM.

#7 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:37 PM

I looked out early this morning and the sky was boiling, didn't bother taking the scope out. Hoping for better tonight.

#8 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:43 PM

Started the early morning with a beautiful blue sky with temps in the upper 40's.  Planned on rolling the roof back and playing around with the 7.....
3pm.  Here come the clouds.....the sky is now mostly covered with high, thin clouds.  And Venus looked like a Hula dancer after sunset.

Edited by The Planetman, 24 September 2021 - 08:43 PM.

#9 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:58 PM

With fear of being seen as a gloater, I report that seeing above me now is just stellar! as though the atmosphere has stripped away. Jupiter is revealing a record (for me) 7 bands and several what seem like mini GRS's along the northern and southern equatorial belts.

Don't hate me!

Edited by Stellar1, 24 September 2021 - 08:58 PM.

• blueskydown and 25585 like this

#10 eros312

eros312

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:25 PM

Yep, here's some pics I took tonight https://www.cloudyni...-ut/?p=11385372

The focus kept strobing in and out.

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:38 PM

Wednesday evening I was looking at Venus with my 120ED.   

I was having a problem with the mount. I was probably at 150x but the mount wouldn't settle down, it was continuously vibrating.  

Then I realized, it wasn't the mount, it was the seeing.  I tried Jupiter and Saturn and Izar,.  All just mush.

Jon

• 25585 likes this

#12 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:41 AM

I'm back from the quick session. It was a very nice one! Plenty of details through thr C8edge+Ethos 6mm. The ethos 8 gave steadier views, but there 6 worked well most of the time and have this extra push. The telescope was more limiting than the seeing. There was a hint of details in the GRS and certainly some color grading.

The mosquitos had also their feast .

Chas, you'll have soon your 1000x seeing back.

I'm gonna need a scope that can do 1000x. Never good seeing this time of year for my area unless before sunup.  So much heat during the day with a 93f makes the seeing bad all summer after sundown.

#13 sportsmed

sportsmed

Viking 1

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 25 September 2021 - 07:47 AM

I havent been able to go out hardly in the past month or so, rain or clouds is all I see but I'm hoping to get out tonight and do some planetary viewing. Wish me luck haha

#14 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:19 AM

Same here had my 102mm ed refractor out last night and everything is boiling away the seeing was very bad I could not get a clear steady view of the Moon or planets so just called it a night and went in and pour myself a glass of good old Jack Daniel whiskey. 

• Codbear and Stellar1 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics