•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Coulter 17.5" Odyssey 2 mirror extraction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:15 PM

Has anyone removed a Coulter 17.5" primary from the red tube scope?

That is, taking it all the way off, cutting or removing the duct tape side support wrap and cutting the silicone glue holding it to the back board?

I think they were siliconed like the smaller mirrors. 

I'd like to know if the mirrors were soda lime green or possibly a bororsilicate (Pyrex).

Also if the backs were ground flat, or left tapered and rough from extrusion. 

Essentially I'm looking for a quality report on these mirrors.

Thanks.

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:56 PM

I had and enjoyed the blue-tube Coulter 13.1, the Coulter 17.5 mirror set, and two of the Coulter 29-inch mirror sets. All were made from Pyrex brand sheet glass, with the raw sheet surface on the back side. All were precision machined round and had reasonably decent figures. The 29-incher had astigmatism which I bent out with a tunable spring harness. They were all wonderful for the ultra-low prices. Of course attaching a mirror to a board with silicone cement is insane. By all means, replace that with a 9-point proper whiffle tree and sling.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 57 Coulter Ad 1980.jpg
  • 58.2 75 coulter ad gif.gif

• catboat and jcruse64 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics