•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A wall map of the galaxy / local group to put pins in for observed astronomical objects.

Art Charts Observing
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Escape Pod

Escape Pod

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:45 PM

A wall map of the galaxy / local group to put pins in for observed astronomical objects.

In one of the scenes in Contact, the younger Elle puts a pin with strings in a world map to track all the places she’d spoken to via Ham Radio. I’m wondering if astronomers have anything similar.

I’m a spatial / visual person. I like to know how objects are located relative to one another, For example, while M42 and M31 appear pretty honking big in our night sky, one is in our approximate neighborhood in the galaxy and another is much further away, though still belonging to the local group. Just observing them, you get no sense of that.

I wonder if anyone has ever developed / printed a set of projections that would allow us to plot our observations on a map/chart. 

Something like these, but spiffier. 

FC0B4ADF-6AFB-4C6F-97D8-38BA14F4C215.gif

9132A79E-ABA6-45CD-A5A3-2845F1CDEFE9.gif

51071CD1-B217-4429-8395-681D241E3C59.gif

5884FD80-A8F6-4A09-B31E-2A413C7FEC9C.gif

source: http://www.atlasofth....com/index.html

Edited by Escape Pod, 24 September 2021 - 10:48 PM.

• turtle86, Jim Waters, R Botero and 3 others like this

#2 javad

javad

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:16 AM

amazing

#3 jcj380

jcj380

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:39 AM

I'd like to find a detailed map of the Milky Way as viewed from above the NGP.   Google search has yielded a mix like OP's attachments - ok but not as detailed as what I'm looking for.  Maybe the thing to do is take all the maps you can find and combine the info into a DIY.

The latest issue of Sky at Night magazine has instructions for making a model of the solar neighborhood with colored beads for stars glued on skewers for distance above and below the ecliptic plane.  That might be a good project for a snowy January night. 

#4 gmiller123456

gmiller123456

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:44 AM

You could take the GAIA EDR3 data and map all 500Gb of it as a 3d model, but I imagine there'd be a lot of holes for the parts we can't see.

http://cdn.gea.esac....r3/gaia_source/

#5 Escape Pod

Escape Pod

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:35 PM

I'd like to find a detailed map of the Milky Way as viewed from above the NGP. Google search has yielded a mix like OP's attachments - ok but not as detailed as what I'm looking for. Maybe the thing to do is take all the maps you can find and combine the info into a DIY.

The latest issue of Sky at Night magazine has instructions for making a model of the solar neighborhood with colored beads for stars glued on skewers for distance above and below the ecliptic plane. That might be a good project for a snowy January night.

Thanks for letting me know about that Sky at Night piece, jcj. Would that make for a 3D model even? I’ll check it out!

#6 Escape Pod

Escape Pod

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:37 PM

You could take the GAIA EDR3 data and map all 500Gb of it as a 3d model, but I imagine there'd be a lot of holes for the parts we can't see.

http://cdn.gea.esac....r3/gaia_source/

It’s an amazing project. I wonder if anyone has ever annotated a map like this with Messiers, NGCs etc…

#7 jcj380

jcj380

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 29 September 2021 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for letting me know about that Sky at Night piece, jcj. Would that make for a 3D model even? I’ll check it out!

Yes, it's 3-D.  They use a cardboard disk and glue skewers to it to have stars above and below the plane.

I'm thinking about doing one with a wooden base that could sit on my desk.  Have to add an offset to position all the stars above the base or leave a few out though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Charts, Observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics